Re: OT: Old 10base-T ethernet on a modern network

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
      > > I'm trying to get a Macintosh Centris 610 online with a
      > > MacCon 610 ethernet card plugged into an Airport Express in
      > > bridge mode. This card has a 10base-T ethernet port, that
      > > blinks when I plug a normal (not crossover) cable in. The
      > > computer can't get a DHCP address and can't seem to talk to
      > > anything on my network with a static address.
      > >
      > Just throw in a cheap 10Base-T hub in the mix. Some of the "older" Macs
      > don't play well at all with autosensing switches. I keep a 24 port hub
      > on my home network that also supports AUI and 10base-2. Just handy to
      > have around for all this old stuff.

      Seconded. About half of my LC-PDS Ethernet cards have problems with autosensing switches (the "link valid" indicator seems to go in and out at about 1 Hz), but they're quite happy if I stick an old 10Base-T hub in the middle; they're not even likely to use all THAT bandwidth, so why not? I never tried forcing individual ports on my managed switch to 10Base-T with no auto, but then it never seemed to make sense to waste the ports.

      - Dave
    • Dave Ross
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
        Thanks for the help, everyone!

        You called it with the "link valid" light blinking about once a second, so it sounds like the autosensing is exactly where the problem lies. My old 10/100 switch wasn't able to make the connection, so I'll see if I can scrounge up a 10base-T hub on Craigslist.

        - Dave Ross
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
          Where are you located? I have spares here in Wantage, NJ. You can have one if you come get it.