RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: Old 10base-T ethernet on a modern network

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013

      Just throw in a cheap 10Base-T hub in the mix. Some of the "older" Macs
      don't play well at all with autosensing switches. I keep a 24 port hub
      on my home network that also supports AUI and 10base-2. Just handy to
      have around for all this old stuff.

      Kelly
    • David Riley
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
        > > I'm trying to get a Macintosh Centris 610 online with a
        > > MacCon 610 ethernet card plugged into an Airport Express in
        > > bridge mode. This card has a 10base-T ethernet port, that
        > > blinks when I plug a normal (not crossover) cable in. The
        > > computer can't get a DHCP address and can't seem to talk to
        > > anything on my network with a static address.
        > >
        > Just throw in a cheap 10Base-T hub in the mix. Some of the "older" Macs
        > don't play well at all with autosensing switches. I keep a 24 port hub
        > on my home network that also supports AUI and 10base-2. Just handy to
        > have around for all this old stuff.

        Seconded. About half of my LC-PDS Ethernet cards have problems with autosensing switches (the "link valid" indicator seems to go in and out at about 1 Hz), but they're quite happy if I stick an old 10Base-T hub in the middle; they're not even likely to use all THAT bandwidth, so why not? I never tried forcing individual ports on my managed switch to 10Base-T with no auto, but then it never seemed to make sense to waste the ports.

        - Dave
      • Dave Ross
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
          Thanks for the help, everyone!

          You called it with the "link valid" light blinking about once a second, so it sounds like the autosensing is exactly where the problem lies. My old 10/100 switch wasn't able to make the connection, so I'll see if I can scrounge up a 10base-T hub on Craigslist.

          - Dave Ross
        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
            Where are you located? I have spares here in Wantage, NJ. You can have one if you come get it.