Re: [midatlanticretro] Old 10base-T ethernet on a modern network

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13 7:58 PM
      Some older devices can have trouble with some new hardware. In my experience, it's mostly 100 mbit *hubs* that have problems with 10baseT hardware. I regularly use several 10baseT devices on my home gigabit switch, ranging from a pretty old (mid-90's) JetDirect card in my LaserJet 4 to a not-so-old Digium IAXy that is for whatever reason 10baseT only. I've also used AUI <-> 10baseT converters and 10baseT <-> 10baseFL with the same gigabit switch in the past.

      If you are sure there is no problem with the router (perhaps it is set to a fixed speed?) then try adding a decent switch after it. I have a cheapie Netgear ProSafe 8 port gigabit switch at home currently that does fine. The very nice Layer 3 gigabit switch at work, as expected, does fine with 10baseT devices too.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan