Old 10base-T ethernet on a modern network

  • Dave Ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2013
      I'm trying to get a Macintosh Centris 610 online with a MacCon 610 ethernet card plugged into an Airport Express in bridge mode. This card has a 10base-T ethernet port, that blinks when I plug a normal (not crossover) cable in. The computer can't get a DHCP address and can't seem to talk to anything on my network with a static address.

      (I tried a crossover cable for the heck of it - no luck there either)

      The diagnostics on the driver disk say the card's working, but 0 packets are sent or received.

      While searching, I found a forum thread somewhere suggesting that older cards have trouble with modern Ethernet networks because they're confused by the signals sent during autosensing. Does that even make sense?

      If that's the case, there surely has to be a common solution I'm missing. I'd love any advice you guys can offer for getting this thing online.

      - Dave Ross
    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2013
        Some older devices can have trouble with some new hardware. In my experience, it's mostly 100 mbit *hubs* that have problems with 10baseT hardware. I regularly use several 10baseT devices on my home gigabit switch, ranging from a pretty old (mid-90's) JetDirect card in my LaserJet 4 to a not-so-old Digium IAXy that is for whatever reason 10baseT only. I've also used AUI <-> 10baseT converters and 10baseT <-> 10baseFL with the same gigabit switch in the past.

        If you are sure there is no problem with the router (perhaps it is set to a fixed speed?) then try adding a decent switch after it. I have a cheapie Netgear ProSafe 8 port gigabit switch at home currently that does fine. The very nice Layer 3 gigabit switch at work, as expected, does fine with 10baseT devices too.

        Thanks,
        Jonathan