Re: [midatlanticretro] RL01 drives, worthwhile?

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
      On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On 03/12/2013 08:17 PM, David Gesswein wrote:
      >> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:54:35PM -0400, Systems Glitch wrote:
      >>> I can get them, but it looks like they're going to be over $100 a pack
      >>>
      >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-data-cartridge-RL01K-DC-digital-dasd-/121075989404?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c30b0fb9c
      >>
      >> Auction completed without any bids at $6.
      >
      > How is it possible that I missed that?!

      Because it was listed in Consumer Electronics->Vintage
      Electronics->Other?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
        On 03/12/2013 09:06 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

        >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-data-cartridge-RL01K-DC-digital-dasd-/121075989404?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c30b0fb9c
        >>>
        >>> Auction completed without any bids at $6.
        >>
        >> How is it possible that I missed that?!
        >
        > Because it was listed in Consumer Electronics->Vintage
        > Electronics->Other?

        Probably. ;)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote:

          > Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
          > all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
          > wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
          > for the donation.

          A de-magnetizer can wipe the data now.

          The data, the format, the media...

          Perhaps not such a good idea.

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
            On 03/12/2013 10:04 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
            >> all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
            >> wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
            >> for the donation.
            >>

            > A de-magnetizer can wipe the data now.
            >
            > The data, the format, the media...
            >
            > Perhaps not such a good idea.

            Yes, DO NOT do this to RL disk packs.

            For the sake of future perusers of the archives: Degaussing an RL01 or
            RL02 disk pack DESTROYS THE PACK by erasing the embedded servo data.
            That servo data can be rewritten, but doing so requires equipment that
            essentially no longer exists.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
              On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 08:19:34PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
              > On 03/12/2013 08:17 PM, David Gesswein wrote:
              > > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:54:35PM -0400, Systems Glitch wrote:
              > >> I can get them, but it looks like they're going to be over $100 a pack
              > >>
              > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-data-cartridge-RL01K-DC-digital-dasd-/121075989404?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c30b0fb9c
              > >
              > > Auction completed without any bids at $6.
              >
              > How is it possible that I missed that?!

              When I have found a recently closed no bid auction that I was interested in
              I have contacted the seller and gotten a relist. At that low price they
              may want a higher starting price though.
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                Hi,

                I'm searching the net but can't find a relay to fit some old boards.

                I have a sample.

                Aromat JY1JE-DC12
                It's a 5 pin SPDT pcb mount relay. The foot print looks like this:
                O-----O
                ---O
                O-------O

                The dashes are just there to keep it spaced correctly.
                The coil pins are the two offset pins on right.
                The common is in the center.

                Can anyone cross this to something readily available?

                Thanks,
                Josh
              • Systems Glitch
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                  > Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
                  > all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
                  > wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
                  > for the donation.

                  RL01 workshop this summer?

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                    On 03/12/2013 11:47 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
                    >> Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
                    >> all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
                    >> wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
                    >> for the donation.
                    >
                    > RL01 workshop this summer?

                    There's an idea. I (and my RL01 drives) would be happy to host it, if
                    people feel like driving out this way.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Systems Glitch
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                      Well, I contacted the eBay seller for the one that didn't sell for $5.95 and got it relisted BIN for $6. So I've got an unknown pack on the way that should at least be good for "core charge" to Athana if it is ruined!

                      Looks like there are enough local resources to make RL01s practical. I'm not too worried about being able to swap disk packs with others, so I will investigate getting the RL01s running. We do at least know they power on, as we powered them up to lock the heads for transport!

                      I suppose now I need to find controllers and test them, I don't think the PDP-11/10 came with one and I know I don't have one for the parts build LSI-11. Does anyone have a spare card + cable (or two) + terminator they'd be willing to sell or trade?

                      Thanks,
                      Jonathan
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                        On 03/13/2013 02:08 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
                        > Well, I contacted the eBay seller for the one that didn't sell for $5.95 and got it relisted BIN for $6. So I've got an unknown pack on the way that should at least be good for "core charge" to Athana if it is ruined!
                        >
                        > Looks like there are enough local resources to make RL01s practical. I'm not too worried about being able to swap disk packs with others, so I will investigate getting the RL01s running. We do at least know they power on, as we powered them up to lock the heads for transport!

                        ...and of course I can cut bootable packs for you, whenever you need.

                        (that goes for you too Herb, and anyone else with an RL drive on a
                        PDP-11..)

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        New Kensington, PA
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                          On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, Systems Glitch wrote:

                          > Well, I contacted the eBay seller for the one that didn't sell for $5.95
                          > and got it relisted BIN for $6. So I've got an unknown pack on the way
                          > that should at least be good for "core charge" to Athana if it is
                          > ruined!

                          I received the following message from someone at Athana at the end of
                          January:

                          "Do you have RL-02 disk packs?
                          How much are they? Please call me."

                          I thought that was a bit odd. Did anyone else get something similar?
                          I do have one RL02K-DC pack, condition unknown, but I wasn't in the mood
                          to give it up.

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...