Re: [midatlanticretro] RL01 drives, worthwhile?

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
      On 03/12/2013 01:54 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
      > I've got a pair of clean but untested RL01 drives that I'm
      > considering using with my parts build LSI-11. I'd really like some
      > form of hard disk that can be swapped between the LSI-11 and my
      > PDP-11/10, so the RL01s fit that pretty well.
      >
      > I'm not sure it's worth the time and money to try and get two RL01s
      > tested out and working with the disk packs being far less common than
      > the RL02. I can get them, but it looks like they're going to be over
      > $100 a pack (they do come with a guarantee). I'd like everyone's
      > opinions on whether it's a worthwhile endeavor or not, or if I'd be
      > better off going with another solution (RL02, RK05, et c.).
      >
      > If I do decide to return the RL01s to service, does anyone have a
      > working pack I could test them out with? I have access to a working
      > PDP-11/23+ with known good RL controller (currently has RL02s
      > connected to it).

      I can at least loan you a pack for testing. I am loathe to part with
      any permanently because I have several drives here.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
        > I can at least loan you a pack for testing. I am loathe to part with
        > any permanently because I have several drives here.

        MARCH has a *lot* of RL01 carts from the system I delivered from
        Rockland County. Perhaps some of them could be loaned as well.

        --
        Will
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
          Hi Jonathan,

          I have an RL01K-DC Data Cartridge that I'd be willing to part with. No idea if it works. I got it years ago when I used a pair of RL01 drives for my night table.

          Perhaps I sell it on ebay? I have no idea what they sell for.

          Regards,
          Josh

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
            On 03/12/2013 02:22 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
            >> I can at least loan you a pack for testing. I am loathe to part with
            >> any permanently because I have several drives here.
            >
            > MARCH has a *lot* of RL01 carts from the system I delivered from
            > Rockland County. Perhaps some of them could be loaned as well.

            Oh, very cool. I think I carried a lot of those inside. :) I don't
            think I noticed that they were RL01s rather than RL02s. That was a good
            score!

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

              > All,
              >
              > I've got a pair of clean but untested RL01 drives that I'm considering using with my parts build LSI-11. I'd really like some form of hard disk that can be swapped between the LSI-11 and my PDP-11/10, so the RL01s fit that pretty well.

              I also have a pair of RL01 drives, and a few RL01 packs. Please add me to the list of "people to bug about RL01's". It's on my list to make these work again with an 11/34. But it won't happen soon, I don't even mention it on my site.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com
            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                > I also have a pair of RL01 drives, and a few RL01 packs. Please add me to
                > the list of "people to bug about RL01's". It's on my list to make these work
                > again with an 11/34. But it won't happen soon, I don't even mention it on my
                > site.

                Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
                all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
                wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
                for the donation.

                --
                Will
              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                  On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:54:35PM -0400, Systems Glitch wrote:
                  > I can get them, but it looks like they're going to be over $100 a pack

                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-data-cartridge-RL01K-DC-digital-dasd-/121075989404?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c30b0fb9c

                  Auction completed without any bids at $6.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                    On 03/12/2013 08:08 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
                    >> I also have a pair of RL01 drives, and a few RL01 packs. Please add me to
                    >> the list of "people to bug about RL01's". It's on my list to make these work
                    >> again with an 11/34. But it won't happen soon, I don't even mention it on my
                    >> site.
                    >
                    > Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
                    > all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
                    > wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
                    > for the donation.

                    I have functional RL01 drives here; I can handle them here if time
                    becomes short.

                    Otherwise I can bring the system up at MARCH (once there's power) and
                    take care of it.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                      On 03/12/2013 08:17 PM, David Gesswein wrote:
                      > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:54:35PM -0400, Systems Glitch wrote:
                      >> I can get them, but it looks like they're going to be over $100 a pack
                      >>
                      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-data-cartridge-RL01K-DC-digital-dasd-/121075989404?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c30b0fb9c
                      >
                      > Auction completed without any bids at $6.

                      How is it possible that I missed that?!

                      --
                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                        On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                        > On 03/12/2013 08:17 PM, David Gesswein wrote:
                        >> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:54:35PM -0400, Systems Glitch wrote:
                        >>> I can get them, but it looks like they're going to be over $100 a pack
                        >>>
                        >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-data-cartridge-RL01K-DC-digital-dasd-/121075989404?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c30b0fb9c
                        >>
                        >> Auction completed without any bids at $6.
                        >
                        > How is it possible that I missed that?!

                        Because it was listed in Consumer Electronics->Vintage
                        Electronics->Other?

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                          On 03/12/2013 09:06 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

                          >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-data-cartridge-RL01K-DC-digital-dasd-/121075989404?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c30b0fb9c
                          >>>
                          >>> Auction completed without any bids at $6.
                          >>
                          >> How is it possible that I missed that?!
                          >
                          > Because it was listed in Consumer Electronics->Vintage
                          > Electronics->Other?

                          Probably. ;)

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • joshbensadon
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote:

                            > Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
                            > all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
                            > wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
                            > for the donation.

                            A de-magnetizer can wipe the data now.

                            The data, the format, the media...

                            Perhaps not such a good idea.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                              On 03/12/2013 10:04 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
                              >> all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
                              >> wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
                              >> for the donation.
                              >>

                              > A de-magnetizer can wipe the data now.
                              >
                              > The data, the format, the media...
                              >
                              > Perhaps not such a good idea.

                              Yes, DO NOT do this to RL disk packs.

                              For the sake of future perusers of the archives: Degaussing an RL01 or
                              RL02 disk pack DESTROYS THE PACK by erasing the embedded servo data.
                              That servo data can be rewritten, but doing so requires equipment that
                              essentially no longer exists.

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • David Gesswein
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                                On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 08:19:34PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
                                > On 03/12/2013 08:17 PM, David Gesswein wrote:
                                > > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:54:35PM -0400, Systems Glitch wrote:
                                > >> I can get them, but it looks like they're going to be over $100 a pack
                                > >>
                                > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-data-cartridge-RL01K-DC-digital-dasd-/121075989404?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c30b0fb9c
                                > >
                                > > Auction completed without any bids at $6.
                                >
                                > How is it possible that I missed that?!

                                When I have found a recently closed no bid auction that I was interested in
                                I have contacted the seller and gotten a relist. At that low price they
                                may want a higher starting price though.
                              • joshbensadon
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                                  Hi,

                                  I'm searching the net but can't find a relay to fit some old boards.

                                  I have a sample.

                                  Aromat JY1JE-DC12
                                  It's a 5 pin SPDT pcb mount relay. The foot print looks like this:
                                  O-----O
                                  ---O
                                  O-------O

                                  The dashes are just there to keep it spaced correctly.
                                  The coil pins are the two offset pins on right.
                                  The common is in the center.

                                  Can anyone cross this to something readily available?

                                  Thanks,
                                  Josh
                                • Systems Glitch
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                                    > Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
                                    > all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
                                    > wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
                                    > for the donation.

                                    RL01 workshop this summer?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Jonathan
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                                      On 03/12/2013 11:47 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
                                      >> Just a friendly reminder to anyone that gets an RL01 drive working -
                                      >> all of the RL01 packs from the Rockland County machine need to be
                                      >> wiped of any and all user data. It is part of the agreement MARCH made
                                      >> for the donation.
                                      >
                                      > RL01 workshop this summer?

                                      There's an idea. I (and my RL01 drives) would be happy to host it, if
                                      people feel like driving out this way.

                                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                      New Kensington, PA
                                    • Systems Glitch
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                                        Well, I contacted the eBay seller for the one that didn't sell for $5.95 and got it relisted BIN for $6. So I've got an unknown pack on the way that should at least be good for "core charge" to Athana if it is ruined!

                                        Looks like there are enough local resources to make RL01s practical. I'm not too worried about being able to swap disk packs with others, so I will investigate getting the RL01s running. We do at least know they power on, as we powered them up to lock the heads for transport!

                                        I suppose now I need to find controllers and test them, I don't think the PDP-11/10 came with one and I know I don't have one for the parts build LSI-11. Does anyone have a spare card + cable (or two) + terminator they'd be willing to sell or trade?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Jonathan
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                                          On 03/13/2013 02:08 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
                                          > Well, I contacted the eBay seller for the one that didn't sell for $5.95 and got it relisted BIN for $6. So I've got an unknown pack on the way that should at least be good for "core charge" to Athana if it is ruined!
                                          >
                                          > Looks like there are enough local resources to make RL01s practical. I'm not too worried about being able to swap disk packs with others, so I will investigate getting the RL01s running. We do at least know they power on, as we powered them up to lock the heads for transport!

                                          ...and of course I can cut bootable packs for you, whenever you need.

                                          (that goes for you too Herb, and anyone else with an RL drive on a
                                          PDP-11..)

                                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                          New Kensington, PA
                                        • Mike Loewen
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                                            On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, Systems Glitch wrote:

                                            > Well, I contacted the eBay seller for the one that didn't sell for $5.95
                                            > and got it relisted BIN for $6. So I've got an unknown pack on the way
                                            > that should at least be good for "core charge" to Athana if it is
                                            > ruined!

                                            I received the following message from someone at Athana at the end of
                                            January:

                                            "Do you have RL-02 disk packs?
                                            How much are they? Please call me."

                                            I thought that was a bit odd. Did anyone else get something similar?
                                            I do have one RL02K-DC pack, condition unknown, but I wasn't in the mood
                                            to give it up.

                                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...