Switchmode Supplies for S-100 Boxes

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2013
      All,

      Just picked up one of these myself:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/151009083997

      Can't beat the price! It includes a voltage adjust trimpot for finding that minimum voltage at which your cards will function while running as cool as possible. Not enough output for a really big backplane loaded with cards, but I'm planning on using mine for a small portable chassis.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • Mike Strange
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2013
        A nice small PSU - one small problem for us over this side of the pond - the guy wants $49.70 for shipping.

        We often find this to be the case with obsolete ICs - example $24 for the IC and $40 for shipping .. for ONE IC! (INTEL 1976 P8275 Programmable Graphics Generator)

        Mike

        On 11 Mar 2013 , Systems Glitch said:

        All,

        Just picked up one of these myself:

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/151009083997

        Can't beat the price! It includes a voltage adjust trimpot for finding that minimum voltage at which your cards will function while running as cool as possible. Not enough output for a really big backplane loaded with cards, but I'm planning on using mine for a small portable chassis.

        Thanks,
        Jonathan

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2013
          I bought a 15V Mean Well PSU for a synthesizer project last year. We also use Mean Well products at work and have found them to be very good. FWIW, Jameco is a distributor for them in the US and I'm sure Mean Well has distributors in Europe and the UK.

          -David

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2013
            > I bought a 15V Mean Well PSU for a synthesizer project last year. We also use Mean Well products at work and have found them to be very good.

            Same here. I've used their supplies that mount to DIN rail extensively at my previous job. We almost never had the power supplies fail, and never without good reason.

            > FWIW, Jameco is a distributor for them in the US and I'm sure Mean Well has distributors in Europe and the UK.

            Yes, Jameco carries a lot of selection! I'll probably be buying a small "open frame" (aka bare circuit board) +/- 15V supply for the +/- 18V rails from Jameco.

            Thanks,
            Jonathan
          • Jeff Galinat
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013
              On 3/11/2013 7:22 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:

              All,

              Just picked up one of these myself:

              http://www.ebay.com/itm/151009083997

              Can't beat the price! It includes a voltage adjust trimpot for finding that minimum voltage at which your cards will function while running as cool as possible. Not enough output for a really big backplane loaded with cards, but I'm planning on using mine for a small portable chassis.

              Thanks,
              Jonathan

                Hi Jonathan (& All),
                  I just picked up Mean Well's slightly bigger brother to your supply on eBay.  This one is a 20A version.  These are used but mine tested fine.  They are $20 plus $11.70 shipping so I think it's a nice supply for the price.  it has a 14 day return policy but you pay for return shipping. It look like the vendor has 10 left. <http://www.ebay.com/itm/300870111585>
              Regards,
              Jeff