Re: [midatlanticretro] wire wrap bits?

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
      On 03/09/2013 07:50 AM, David Comley wrote:
      > As I recall, the bits are available but pricey. I picked up a similar
      > tool at the MIT Swap Meet a few years ago minus the bit, but balked at
      > the price of a new bit and never bought one.
      >
      > If you're getting into anything big though, and no-one comes up with a
      > no-cost bit, I'd recommend spending the money on it. On the last
      > large-scale wire-wrap project I worked on, I used a hand wire-wrap tool
      > from R*dio Sh*ck. Actually I used two: the first one wore out. Not
      > having a power wire-wrap tool really slowed things down and the quality
      > of the work suffered.
      >
      > Maybe I should dig mine out and get it working. Who knows how much
      > longer bits will be available ?

      If they're still available now, they'll likely be around for quite
      awhile. The first time I heard people whining "they're all gonna go
      away!" was easily 25 years ago.

      About WW bits...It probably doesn't pay to buy a used one, unless you
      can inspect it very thoroughly. The alignment between the core and the
      sleeve is pretty critical, and dropping it once will likely destroy it.

      I used one of those Radio Shack hand WW tools for years; it worked
      great. I still have it, in fact...I've had it for almost exactly thirty
      years now. I only use it for "quick gotta fix something on a DEC
      backplane" type of stuff. If I'm going to wire-wrap a whole board, I
      have a Cooper power wire-wrap gun that is just fantastic.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Mike Strange
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
        On 9 Mar 2013 , Dave McGuire said:

        > If they're still available now, they'll likely be around for quite awhile.
        > The first time I heard people whining "they're all gonna go away!" was easily
        > 25 years ago.

        > About WW bits...It probably doesn't pay to buy a used one, unless you can
        > inspect it very thoroughly. The alignment between the core and the sleeve is
        > pretty critical, and dropping it once will likely destroy it.

        > I used one of those Radio Shack hand WW tools for years; it worked great. I
        > still have it, in fact...I've had it for almost exactly thirty years now. I
        > only use it for "quick gotta fix something on a DEC backplane" type of stuff.
        > If I'm going to wire-wrap a whole board, I have a Cooper power wire-wrap gun
        > that is just fantastic.
        Dave
        --
        There are a number of tools available in UK if it helps you:
        http://uk.farnell.com/wire-wrap/wrap-tool-type/gun/pg/110087161

        Mostly very expensive, the lowest cost one is manual but has a number of different bits
        available:
        http://uk.farnell.com/oki-metcal/g200-r3278/wire-wrap-tool-manual-30-22awg/dp/826441
        4

        Farnell also host a catalogue with some good information about wire wrapping:
        http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/22592.pdf

        I recall that when I was in the Royal Air Force and worked on the Bloodhound MkII Missile
        the forebody electronic panels were wire wrapped to the backplanes and the wrapping tool
        did both posts simultaneously. I am actively involved with the preservation group
        http://www.BMPG.org.uk

        Mike
      • Systems Glitch
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
          >I used one of those Radio Shack hand WW tools for years; it worked
          > great.

          They're not too bad, I do like that the heel of the handle spins so you can put pressure on it with your palm. I've got an OK Industries hand wrap tool that I mostly use now, because it's got an unwrap end too.

          Jeff, there are a number of people with OK Industries bits/sleeves on eBay. I don't know if they're for the squeeze kind or the electric kind. I can bring my OK Industries electric wrap gun and we can see if the bit is exchangable with yours at TCF if you want.

          Thanks,
          Jonathan
        • 'bama'boy
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
            Do you need both the bit AND the sleeve? They are sold separately. Also, the bits are sized for specific wire gauge. I assume you want #22-24 awg?

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
              >> Do you need both the bit AND the sleeve? They are sold separately. Also, the bits are sized for specific wire gauge. I assume you want #22-24 awg?

              Welcome new person. Please introduce yourself.
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                I would assume 30AWG.

                -Dave

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
                  Hello, all

                  I'm a retired computer engineer who shares your affinity for the "Good old days". I normally don't chime in unless I have something useful to say.

                  Regarding the wire wrap bits, I may have a spare set (bit and sleeve) somewhere. I will look around for it and let you know.

                  Regards,
                  Frank

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
                    On 03/10/2013 01:35 PM, 'bama'boy wrote:
                    > Hello, all
                    >
                    > I'm a retired computer engineer who shares your affinity for the
                    > "Good old days". I normally don't chime in unless I have something
                    > useful to say.

                    Welcome, Frank! What kind of stuff did you work on during your career?

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ