Re: Roll Call for TCF E (!! NOT VCF !!)

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

      > Do I remember your missing the whole solenoid assembly? I've made some more
      > of the parts I was missing for the other pen types but not the solenoid.
      > Tom Mikulic has gotten a Rasberry PI working to control his.

      yes, Tom and I have been in correspondence for some time. I need to wind a solenoid for my Calcomp plotter to operate a pen.

      Meanwhile...tonight, in the dim recesses of my underground lab...the swish-swish sounds of rotating diskettes....the grunt-grunt of heads, seeking the operating system....and then, with a A440 beep....

      ACTION? <BOOT> BOOT

      SYSTEM HAS 48K OF RAM

      VOLUME 062, MOUNTED ON SY0:
      LABEL: (NULL) HDOS 1.5

      HDOS VERSION 1.5
      ISSUE # 50, 03, 00
      DATE (DD-MMM-YY)? >

      Over thirty years after they were formatted, Heath's HDOS is loaded from diskettes, into the H-8's memory and mighty 2MHz 8080 processor. Dusty manual pages are turned, commands entered. Disks are read and dup'ed before the heads scrape the bits away.

      Now, how do I show off this ancient technology? What can this computer do, to stir the hearts of users today? What wisdom of the ages speaks to us?

      YOU ARE IN A VALLEY?
      AT YOUR FEET ALL THE WATER OF THE STREAM SPLASHES INTO A 2-INCH
      SLIT IN THE ROCK. DOWNSTREAM THE STREAM BED IS BARE ROCK.

      the adventure continues....

      Herb Johnson
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
        I continue to assemble memorabilia and factoids for my H-8 exhibit at TCF. I'm working up a Web page about it also:

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/h8_tcf.html

        Email me with corrections and comments directly, c/o my site. But I won't have time to do much about them. It's very challenging to represent mid-1970s personal computing history, to people who never knew a day when a computing device was not at hand. I note 1978 prices for cars and gas and memory cards.

        Of course, talking about "personal computing" in 2013 is archaic; one might as well talk about "personal transportation" (cars) or "personal instant communication" (smart phones). But how do you do personal computing before computers? Share software before networks, even modems? My Web page notes the existence of "clubs" and their paper newsletters and "disk libraries".

        I'll bring copies of things to exhibit, the originals are a bit precious. I don't expect someone to read an 8080 listing, or a catalog. I'm reluctant to bring a foot-tall stack of manuals, same deal. Photocopies of a cover will make the point: people once printed manuals, and owners read them thoroughly with interest and even enthusiasm.

        Herb Johnson
        very-retrotechnology.com