Tomorrow -- mini-event

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013
      Tomorrow from 9am-1:30pm, Alise and I will be at "Super Science Saturday" in the Ridgewood, NJ high school. I don't expect much from this event, but who knows ... I'm told the event is mostly kids, and it's only a half-day, so I'm not going too crazy with the MARCH exhibit -- just one table. I am doing an "antique mobility" theme. Bringing our MOBIDIC poster, a working Osborne, and a couple of early PDAs (one being a late-model Newton to show that "tablets" aren't new). Also bringing a stack of MARCH and InfoAge literature.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2013
        >Tomorrow from 9am-1:30pm, Alise and I will be at "Super Science Saturday"
        >in the Ridgewood, NJ high school. I don't expect much from this event, but
        >who knows ... I'm told the event is mostly kids, and it's only a half-day,
        >so
        >I'm not going too crazy with the MARCH exhibit -- just one table. I am
        >doing an "antique mobility" theme. Bringing our MOBIDIC poster, a working
        >Osborne, and a couple of early PDAs (one being a late-model Newton to show
        > >that "tablets" aren't new). Also bringing a stack of MARCH and InfoAge
        >literature.

        So how did it go?
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2013
          >>> "Super Science Saturday"

          > So how did it go?

          It was okay. In the 4.5 hours that the show floor was open, we met about
          15-20 families where the parents / kids took interest in our display and
          in our museum. So that is a decent ratio, especially considering that we
          put minimal effort into the display itself. I made a big poster with
          very child-friendly bullet points to explain our hardware, its context,
          and how most of it has local connections. That went over pretty well.

          But the event is very (very, very) small compared to all the other
          events where we participate. Also, we were next to a Dow Chemical booth,
          where there were LOADS of kids crammed in to do fun experiments with
          liquid polymers. That booth's success distracted a lot of people from
          stopping to see us.

          It's worth our effort to attend again next year if/when there is nothing
          else going on.

          I might suggest to the event's organizer that they consider grouping all
          the comp-sci / electronics exhibitors together in a single pavilion.