Re: [midatlanticretro] any Camp Evans links to him?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2013
      >> Camp Evans links to him

      No.

      But I kind of know him. I reviewed his autobiography back when I used to publish a newsletter.

      Looking back, there are parts I'd edit, but I stand by the gist: http://www.snarc.net/tr/baer.htm

      Summary: Ralph is a brilliant inventor, but he's the father of "home" videogames, as the book's subtitle states. Yet in the first chapter he claims to be the father of ALL videogames, and he claims that any videogame not played on a raster screen isn't a real videogame. I dislike that -- I can (partially) partially understand dismissing o-scope pong, but Spacewar? Sure it was on a mainframe, but it was still a game (and a graphical one at that) on a video screen.

      By coincidence, the person who published the book (Len Herman) lives around the corner from me. Len had a vendor booth at VCF East two years ago. (Check out his company's other books: rolentapress.com.)