re: [midatlanticretro] ASR33 Dashpot Alignment Tips ?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013

      > I'll be working on my teletype later today. It has a long standing
      problem with the carriage sticking at the left hand side of its travel,
      which I believe is caused by dashpot misalignment. Anyone have any tips for
      aligning it properly ? I'd like to finally get this one sorted out.

      I have had this issue. I recall it not being a big deal to fix for me, I
      used a nut driver to adjust the nuts manually until alignment was achieved.
      You think I needed to adjust the carriage too, it all fits together.
      Make sure the entire chassis is in the base correctly.

      bd
    • David Comley
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
        OK Bill, thanks, I'll have at it this afternoon.

        Do you recall whether you ran your dashpot dry or oiled it ? The manual talks about very light oiling of the inside surface but it seems to me that maybe graphite powder on it would be a better option.

        -David

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
          > OK Bill, thanks, I'll have at it this afternoon.
          >
          > Do you recall whether you ran your dashpot dry or oiled it ? The manual
          talks about very light oiling of the inside surface but it seems to me that
          maybe graphite powder on it would be a better option.

          I cleaned mine first, removed some gunk. There is an regular oil for the
          machinery, but this is really not "machinery" so I don't know. I say that
          a thin coat of the right kind of oil can't hurt, I would not use powder,
          but I'd get a 2nd opinion from someone who knows for sure.