ASR33 Dashpot Alignment Tips ?

  • David Comley
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
      I'll be working on my teletype later today. It has a long standing problem with the carriage sticking at the left hand side of its travel, which I believe is caused by dashpot misalignment. Anyone have any tips for aligning it properly ? I'd like to finally get this one sorted out.

      -David

      Brought to you by the miracle of mobile personal computing.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013

        > I'll be working on my teletype later today. It has a long standing
        problem with the carriage sticking at the left hand side of its travel,
        which I believe is caused by dashpot misalignment. Anyone have any tips for
        aligning it properly ? I'd like to finally get this one sorted out.

        I have had this issue. I recall it not being a big deal to fix for me, I
        used a nut driver to adjust the nuts manually until alignment was achieved.
        You think I needed to adjust the carriage too, it all fits together.
        Make sure the entire chassis is in the base correctly.

        bd
      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
          OK Bill, thanks, I'll have at it this afternoon.

          Do you recall whether you ran your dashpot dry or oiled it ? The manual talks about very light oiling of the inside surface but it seems to me that maybe graphite powder on it would be a better option.

          -David

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
            > OK Bill, thanks, I'll have at it this afternoon.
            >
            > Do you recall whether you ran your dashpot dry or oiled it ? The manual
            talks about very light oiling of the inside surface but it seems to me that
            maybe graphite powder on it would be a better option.

            I cleaned mine first, removed some gunk. There is an regular oil for the
            machinery, but this is really not "machinery" so I don't know. I say that
            a thin coat of the right kind of oil can't hurt, I would not use powder,
            but I'd get a 2nd opinion from someone who knows for sure.