Re: [midatlanticretro] Oy vey! Gross mischaracterizations of our hobby.

  • William Donzelli
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
      > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a
      > point
      > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
      > is...

      Do you mean a Collection Policy?

      Nope, never heard of such a thing, either...

      --
      Will
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
        Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
        lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
        written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a line
        saying to see a related informal document?

        Sounds like a good idea regardless of what one is collecting...

        Wesley

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
          > Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
          > lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
          > written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a
          > line
          > saying to see a related informal document?

          A legal will does not have to be a lawyer-written and legalese-filled
          document, but often it is a good idea.

          It is also a good idea to have all the information in a will, rather
          than on attached documents. The latter are prone to getting lost, and
          can result in a tangle if the will is contested.

          To do this properly, the collection should be clearly defined, so the
          executor knows what is to be dealt with. Major items in the collection
          should be identified and listed with descriptions, model numbers, and
          even serial numbers, if applicable. There should be clear guidelines
          for the executor so they know how to deal with the collection. There
          should be contingencies in case the executor can not perform his
          duties (this happens a *lot* - executors die too), listing museums and
          historic groups that could potentially help. There should also be
          contingencies in case beneficiaries can not accept what is willed to
          them (because they die too).

          All this is basic estate lawyer stuff.

          --
          Will