Re: [midatlanticretro] Oy vey! Gross mischaracterizations of our hobby.

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
      On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

      > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
      >
      >> On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      >>> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
      >>
      >> Damn suits.
      >
      > You just can't trust anybody with...
      >
      > - a suit.
      > - a shave.
      > - a haircut.
      > - a "practiced" profession.
      > - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

      Hey, I must be trustworthy!

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
        > In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
        > will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
        > grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
        > laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
        > And, that still does not make it an investment.

        All these PeeCees and Windows machines we hate now will be worth money
        - and I think the timeframe will be far shorter than 100 years. Every
        class of gadget that had an impact on society becomes collectable
        eventually.

        > For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
        > a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
        > real estate, and financial instruments.

        This is not true. You can certainly have investments that are solely
        intended for heirs, either trusts or living people. There are indeed
        people that do this in their estate plans - it is not an uncommon
        strategy.

        --
        Will
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
          > A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
          > of a legal will.

          Yes, as part of a will.

          However, nobody does this. And I really mean *nobody*.

          One part of my profession is buying up the estates of engineers and
          ham radio operators, and see this first hand. Widows are burdened with
          piles of interesting stuff that they all to often see as crap. For
          every estate cleanout I do, I hear of ten that went in the dumpster,
          because of a lack of proper, formal estate planning. And proper,
          formal estate planning means a will with detailed and explicit
          instructions on what is to be done with the collection.

          Anything else, as good as the intentions may be, is skating close to worthless.

          So...broadcasting to everyone here...create or update your wills.

          --
          Will
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
            > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a
            > point
            > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
            > is...

            Do you mean a Collection Policy?

            Nope, never heard of such a thing, either...

            --
            Will
          • Wesley Furr
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
              Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
              lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
              written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a line
              saying to see a related informal document?

              Sounds like a good idea regardless of what one is collecting...

              Wesley

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                > Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                > lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                > written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a
                > line
                > saying to see a related informal document?

                A legal will does not have to be a lawyer-written and legalese-filled
                document, but often it is a good idea.

                It is also a good idea to have all the information in a will, rather
                than on attached documents. The latter are prone to getting lost, and
                can result in a tangle if the will is contested.

                To do this properly, the collection should be clearly defined, so the
                executor knows what is to be dealt with. Major items in the collection
                should be identified and listed with descriptions, model numbers, and
                even serial numbers, if applicable. There should be clear guidelines
                for the executor so they know how to deal with the collection. There
                should be contingencies in case the executor can not perform his
                duties (this happens a *lot* - executors die too), listing museums and
                historic groups that could potentially help. There should also be
                contingencies in case beneficiaries can not accept what is willed to
                them (because they die too).

                All this is basic estate lawyer stuff.

                --
                Will