Re: [midatlanticretro] Computers as investment

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
      On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
      > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to
      > contact
      > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding
      > homes
      > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only
      > fair
      > to her.
      >
      > Someone else will have to help find buyers for $10,000 worth of
      > brass
      > instruments. :-)

      A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
      of a legal will. Heaven forbid, but it could happen that one of us
      expires along with our significant other in a common accident... (that
      does happen). And I think virtually all of us would want to see that
      these important items are placed in the hands of someone who will
      continue to care for them... and not just get tossed as "junk". That
      happens, too.

      In my case, anything that might be of interest to MARCH, has already
      been donated to MARCH... with the single exception of my RCA VIP.

      73 de Ray
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013

        > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to contact
        > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding homes
        > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only fair
        > to her.

        That's a great idea. I personally would hope my son will take an interest but who knows? I didn't take an interest in my dad's stamp collection but hopefully, I'll find a way to get him involved.

        Does anyone here have children that are interested in this hobby?
        If so, would you say it's their nature or how you raised them?

        For Evan's sake, I'll label this as OT.

        Cheers,
        Josh
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
          On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

          > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
          >
          >> On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          >>> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
          >>
          >> Damn suits.
          >
          > You just can't trust anybody with...
          >
          > - a suit.
          > - a shave.
          > - a haircut.
          > - a "practiced" profession.
          > - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

          Hey, I must be trustworthy!

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
            > In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
            > will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
            > grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
            > laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
            > And, that still does not make it an investment.

            All these PeeCees and Windows machines we hate now will be worth money
            - and I think the timeframe will be far shorter than 100 years. Every
            class of gadget that had an impact on society becomes collectable
            eventually.

            > For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
            > a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
            > real estate, and financial instruments.

            This is not true. You can certainly have investments that are solely
            intended for heirs, either trusts or living people. There are indeed
            people that do this in their estate plans - it is not an uncommon
            strategy.

            --
            Will
          • William Donzelli
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
              > A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
              > of a legal will.

              Yes, as part of a will.

              However, nobody does this. And I really mean *nobody*.

              One part of my profession is buying up the estates of engineers and
              ham radio operators, and see this first hand. Widows are burdened with
              piles of interesting stuff that they all to often see as crap. For
              every estate cleanout I do, I hear of ten that went in the dumpster,
              because of a lack of proper, formal estate planning. And proper,
              formal estate planning means a will with detailed and explicit
              instructions on what is to be done with the collection.

              Anything else, as good as the intentions may be, is skating close to worthless.

              So...broadcasting to everyone here...create or update your wills.

              --
              Will
            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a
                > point
                > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                > is...

                Do you mean a Collection Policy?

                Nope, never heard of such a thing, either...

                --
                Will
              • Wesley Furr
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                  Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                  lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                  written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a line
                  saying to see a related informal document?

                  Sounds like a good idea regardless of what one is collecting...

                  Wesley

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                    > Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                    > lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                    > written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a
                    > line
                    > saying to see a related informal document?

                    A legal will does not have to be a lawyer-written and legalese-filled
                    document, but often it is a good idea.

                    It is also a good idea to have all the information in a will, rather
                    than on attached documents. The latter are prone to getting lost, and
                    can result in a tangle if the will is contested.

                    To do this properly, the collection should be clearly defined, so the
                    executor knows what is to be dealt with. Major items in the collection
                    should be identified and listed with descriptions, model numbers, and
                    even serial numbers, if applicable. There should be clear guidelines
                    for the executor so they know how to deal with the collection. There
                    should be contingencies in case the executor can not perform his
                    duties (this happens a *lot* - executors die too), listing museums and
                    historic groups that could potentially help. There should also be
                    contingencies in case beneficiaries can not accept what is willed to
                    them (because they die too).

                    All this is basic estate lawyer stuff.

                    --
                    Will