Re: [midatlanticretro] Oy vey! Gross mischaracterizations of our hobby.

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
      -------- Original Message --------

      endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"

      > > My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell
      phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
      > > She is gone, my crap is still here.
      >
      > Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
      > the door. End of story. (it has happened!)
      >
      > -Dave

      True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a point
      when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
      is... Sellam may have a new perspective on that.. We have to take our SO's
      into account. Not everyone can appreciate our love of this hobby, there
      are times where sensitivity is smart.

      bd
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
        Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
          On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.

          Damn suits.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
            On 03/06/2013 12:51 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
            >>> I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of
            > endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"
            >>>
            >>> My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell
            > phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
            >>> She is gone, my crap is still here.
            >>
            >> Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
            >> the door. End of story. (it has happened!)
            >
            > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a point
            > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
            > is... Sellam may have a new perspective on that.. We have to take our SO's
            > into account. Not everyone can appreciate our love of this hobby, there
            > are times where sensitivity is smart.

            I think the real problem is a bit different. If an S.O. cannot come
            to terms with something their partner loves, even if said S.O. doesn't
            share that interest, then the S.O. is just plain incompatible.

            Now, if a "collector" becomes unreasonable, like taking over the
            whole house in a way that makes things difficult for the uninterested
            S.O., that's a different problem entirely.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
              On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > And personally, with a few specific exceptions, nothing I (in
              > particular) have here is for sale. Know how many tens of thousands of
              > dollars I'd get if I were to put my PDP10s on eBay? (hint: the last one
              > went for $25,000) They are NOT FOR SALE, plain and simple. They will
              > be willed to someone. I don't buy vintage computer hardware in hopes of
              > selling it to make a profit...I buy it because I want to HAVE it.

              In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to contact
              this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding homes
              for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only fair
              to her.

              Someone else will have to help find buyers for $10,000 worth of brass
              instruments. :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                >On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                >
                > Damn suits.

                You just can't trust anybody with...

                - a suit.
                - a shave.
                - a haircut.
                - a "practiced" profession.
                - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

                :)

              • Ray Sills
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                  On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                  > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to
                  > contact
                  > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding
                  > homes
                  > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only
                  > fair
                  > to her.
                  >
                  > Someone else will have to help find buyers for $10,000 worth of
                  > brass
                  > instruments. :-)

                  A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
                  of a legal will. Heaven forbid, but it could happen that one of us
                  expires along with our significant other in a common accident... (that
                  does happen). And I think virtually all of us would want to see that
                  these important items are placed in the hands of someone who will
                  continue to care for them... and not just get tossed as "junk". That
                  happens, too.

                  In my case, anything that might be of interest to MARCH, has already
                  been donated to MARCH... with the single exception of my RCA VIP.

                  73 de Ray
                • joshbensadon
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013

                    > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to contact
                    > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding homes
                    > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only fair
                    > to her.

                    That's a great idea. I personally would hope my son will take an interest but who knows? I didn't take an interest in my dad's stamp collection but hopefully, I'll find a way to get him involved.

                    Does anyone here have children that are interested in this hobby?
                    If so, would you say it's their nature or how you raised them?

                    For Evan's sake, I'll label this as OT.

                    Cheers,
                    Josh
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                      On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                      > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                      >
                      >> On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      >>> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                      >>
                      >> Damn suits.
                      >
                      > You just can't trust anybody with...
                      >
                      > - a suit.
                      > - a shave.
                      > - a haircut.
                      > - a "practiced" profession.
                      > - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

                      Hey, I must be trustworthy!

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • William Donzelli
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                        > In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
                        > will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
                        > grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
                        > laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
                        > And, that still does not make it an investment.

                        All these PeeCees and Windows machines we hate now will be worth money
                        - and I think the timeframe will be far shorter than 100 years. Every
                        class of gadget that had an impact on society becomes collectable
                        eventually.

                        > For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
                        > a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
                        > real estate, and financial instruments.

                        This is not true. You can certainly have investments that are solely
                        intended for heirs, either trusts or living people. There are indeed
                        people that do this in their estate plans - it is not an uncommon
                        strategy.

                        --
                        Will
                      • William Donzelli
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                          > A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
                          > of a legal will.

                          Yes, as part of a will.

                          However, nobody does this. And I really mean *nobody*.

                          One part of my profession is buying up the estates of engineers and
                          ham radio operators, and see this first hand. Widows are burdened with
                          piles of interesting stuff that they all to often see as crap. For
                          every estate cleanout I do, I hear of ten that went in the dumpster,
                          because of a lack of proper, formal estate planning. And proper,
                          formal estate planning means a will with detailed and explicit
                          instructions on what is to be done with the collection.

                          Anything else, as good as the intentions may be, is skating close to worthless.

                          So...broadcasting to everyone here...create or update your wills.

                          --
                          Will
                        • William Donzelli
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                            > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a
                            > point
                            > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                            > is...

                            Do you mean a Collection Policy?

                            Nope, never heard of such a thing, either...

                            --
                            Will
                          • Wesley Furr
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                              Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                              lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                              written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a line
                              saying to see a related informal document?

                              Sounds like a good idea regardless of what one is collecting...

                              Wesley

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                > Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                                > lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                                > written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a
                                > line
                                > saying to see a related informal document?

                                A legal will does not have to be a lawyer-written and legalese-filled
                                document, but often it is a good idea.

                                It is also a good idea to have all the information in a will, rather
                                than on attached documents. The latter are prone to getting lost, and
                                can result in a tangle if the will is contested.

                                To do this properly, the collection should be clearly defined, so the
                                executor knows what is to be dealt with. Major items in the collection
                                should be identified and listed with descriptions, model numbers, and
                                even serial numbers, if applicable. There should be clear guidelines
                                for the executor so they know how to deal with the collection. There
                                should be contingencies in case the executor can not perform his
                                duties (this happens a *lot* - executors die too), listing museums and
                                historic groups that could potentially help. There should also be
                                contingencies in case beneficiaries can not accept what is willed to
                                them (because they die too).

                                All this is basic estate lawyer stuff.

                                --
                                Will