Re: [midatlanticretro] Computers as investment

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
      On 03/06/2013 09:42 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
      > Well... Evan's oy vey notwithstanding... and I certainly agree with
      > him on the criticism of BankRate.com... ANY collectible is not truly
      > an investment... it's a speculation: you hope that someone in the
      > future will pay you more for the item than you paid. (The "greater
      > fool" theory). Of course, some people keep items (antiques or
      > otherwise) for sentimental reasons.. ("This was my grandfather's
      > rocking chair"..etc.) And, one of your descendants might feel that
      > way about your first single-board computer.

      I don't know *anyone* involved in vintage computing who considers it
      to be "speculation" or "investment". Anyone.

      And personally, with a few specific exceptions, nothing I (in
      particular) have here is for sale. Know how many tens of thousands of
      dollars I'd get if I were to put my PDP10s on eBay? (hint: the last one
      went for $25,000) They are NOT FOR SALE, plain and simple. They will
      be willed to someone. I don't buy vintage computer hardware in hopes of
      selling it to make a profit...I buy it because I want to HAVE it.

      I believe this describes nearly everyone in the vintage computing
      community, and certainly everyone here.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
        On 03/06/2013 11:48 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
        > I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"
        >
        > My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
        > She is gone, my crap is still here.

        Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
        the door. End of story. (it has happened!)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
          > On 03/06/2013 11:48 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
          > > I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of
          endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"

          > > My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell
          phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
          > > She is gone, my crap is still here.
          >
          > Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
          > the door. End of story. (it has happened!)
          >
          > -Dave

          True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a point
          when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
          is... Sellam may have a new perspective on that.. We have to take our SO's
          into account. Not everyone can appreciate our love of this hobby, there
          are times where sensitivity is smart.

          bd
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
            Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
              On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.

              Damn suits.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                On 03/06/2013 12:51 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                >>> I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of
                > endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"
                >>>
                >>> My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell
                > phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
                >>> She is gone, my crap is still here.
                >>
                >> Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
                >> the door. End of story. (it has happened!)
                >
                > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a point
                > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                > is... Sellam may have a new perspective on that.. We have to take our SO's
                > into account. Not everyone can appreciate our love of this hobby, there
                > are times where sensitivity is smart.

                I think the real problem is a bit different. If an S.O. cannot come
                to terms with something their partner loves, even if said S.O. doesn't
                share that interest, then the S.O. is just plain incompatible.

                Now, if a "collector" becomes unreasonable, like taking over the
                whole house in a way that makes things difficult for the uninterested
                S.O., that's a different problem entirely.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                  On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                  > And personally, with a few specific exceptions, nothing I (in
                  > particular) have here is for sale. Know how many tens of thousands of
                  > dollars I'd get if I were to put my PDP10s on eBay? (hint: the last one
                  > went for $25,000) They are NOT FOR SALE, plain and simple. They will
                  > be willed to someone. I don't buy vintage computer hardware in hopes of
                  > selling it to make a profit...I buy it because I want to HAVE it.

                  In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to contact
                  this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding homes
                  for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only fair
                  to her.

                  Someone else will have to help find buyers for $10,000 worth of brass
                  instruments. :-)

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                    >On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    >> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                    >
                    > Damn suits.

                    You just can't trust anybody with...

                    - a suit.
                    - a shave.
                    - a haircut.
                    - a "practiced" profession.
                    - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

                    :)

                  • Ray Sills
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                      On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                      > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to
                      > contact
                      > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding
                      > homes
                      > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only
                      > fair
                      > to her.
                      >
                      > Someone else will have to help find buyers for $10,000 worth of
                      > brass
                      > instruments. :-)

                      A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
                      of a legal will. Heaven forbid, but it could happen that one of us
                      expires along with our significant other in a common accident... (that
                      does happen). And I think virtually all of us would want to see that
                      these important items are placed in the hands of someone who will
                      continue to care for them... and not just get tossed as "junk". That
                      happens, too.

                      In my case, anything that might be of interest to MARCH, has already
                      been donated to MARCH... with the single exception of my RCA VIP.

                      73 de Ray
                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013

                        > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to contact
                        > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding homes
                        > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only fair
                        > to her.

                        That's a great idea. I personally would hope my son will take an interest but who knows? I didn't take an interest in my dad's stamp collection but hopefully, I'll find a way to get him involved.

                        Does anyone here have children that are interested in this hobby?
                        If so, would you say it's their nature or how you raised them?

                        For Evan's sake, I'll label this as OT.

                        Cheers,
                        Josh
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                          On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                          > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                          >
                          >> On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          >>> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                          >>
                          >> Damn suits.
                          >
                          > You just can't trust anybody with...
                          >
                          > - a suit.
                          > - a shave.
                          > - a haircut.
                          > - a "practiced" profession.
                          > - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

                          Hey, I must be trustworthy!

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • William Donzelli
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                            > In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
                            > will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
                            > grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
                            > laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
                            > And, that still does not make it an investment.

                            All these PeeCees and Windows machines we hate now will be worth money
                            - and I think the timeframe will be far shorter than 100 years. Every
                            class of gadget that had an impact on society becomes collectable
                            eventually.

                            > For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
                            > a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
                            > real estate, and financial instruments.

                            This is not true. You can certainly have investments that are solely
                            intended for heirs, either trusts or living people. There are indeed
                            people that do this in their estate plans - it is not an uncommon
                            strategy.

                            --
                            Will
                          • William Donzelli
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                              > A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
                              > of a legal will.

                              Yes, as part of a will.

                              However, nobody does this. And I really mean *nobody*.

                              One part of my profession is buying up the estates of engineers and
                              ham radio operators, and see this first hand. Widows are burdened with
                              piles of interesting stuff that they all to often see as crap. For
                              every estate cleanout I do, I hear of ten that went in the dumpster,
                              because of a lack of proper, formal estate planning. And proper,
                              formal estate planning means a will with detailed and explicit
                              instructions on what is to be done with the collection.

                              Anything else, as good as the intentions may be, is skating close to worthless.

                              So...broadcasting to everyone here...create or update your wills.

                              --
                              Will
                            • William Donzelli
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a
                                > point
                                > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                                > is...

                                Do you mean a Collection Policy?

                                Nope, never heard of such a thing, either...

                                --
                                Will
                              • Wesley Furr
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                  Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                                  lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                                  written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a line
                                  saying to see a related informal document?

                                  Sounds like a good idea regardless of what one is collecting...

                                  Wesley

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                    > Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                                    > lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                                    > written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a
                                    > line
                                    > saying to see a related informal document?

                                    A legal will does not have to be a lawyer-written and legalese-filled
                                    document, but often it is a good idea.

                                    It is also a good idea to have all the information in a will, rather
                                    than on attached documents. The latter are prone to getting lost, and
                                    can result in a tangle if the will is contested.

                                    To do this properly, the collection should be clearly defined, so the
                                    executor knows what is to be dealt with. Major items in the collection
                                    should be identified and listed with descriptions, model numbers, and
                                    even serial numbers, if applicable. There should be clear guidelines
                                    for the executor so they know how to deal with the collection. There
                                    should be contingencies in case the executor can not perform his
                                    duties (this happens a *lot* - executors die too), listing museums and
                                    historic groups that could potentially help. There should also be
                                    contingencies in case beneficiaries can not accept what is willed to
                                    them (because they die too).

                                    All this is basic estate lawyer stuff.

                                    --
                                    Will