Re: [midatlanticretro] Oy vey! Gross mischaracterizations of our hobby.

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
      >>> those older ones in the 70s...Nah that's junk give it to me.

      >> Aren't you insulting our fearless leader with such commentary?

      I took it with the humor that Chris intended.
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
        There is no doubt that older computers (certainly a good bit older than
        Win98!) have some value again, whereas once they were just old junk.
        However, except for a few rarities, almost none are worth their original
        purchase price...especially if you take inflation into consideration...

        Wesley

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
          >> They make it sound like we are a secret group out to make lots of money by collecting old computers.

          Shh! People might find out. :)
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013

            > In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
            > will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
            > grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
            > laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
            > And, that still does not make it an investment.
            >
            > For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
            > a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
            > real estate, and financial instruments. Sure, some of those things
            > can be speculative too, but stock shares can pay dividends from
            > earnings, real estate can be rented (or used, in which case you are
            > your own landlord), and banks pay interest for the use of your money.

            MARCH's mission is first of all to have fun and work together on projects
            related to vintage computer preservation and use. Our other overall goal
            is to educate other about computer history (in particular Mid-Atlantic's),
            and to rescue and preserve historical computers in our care. Check MARCH
            FAQ's...nothing about cashing in!

            The wired article I was in was more on target.
            http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/02/restorations-2/?pid=589
            Focus on the positive!

            They say any press is good press, Evan. :-)

            bd
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
              From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
              >I took it with the humor that Chris intended.

              Thank you... Evan knows I am a bit on the warped humor side. (O_o )

              I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"

              My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
              She is gone, my crap is still here.
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                On 03/06/2013 09:42 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
                > Well... Evan's oy vey notwithstanding... and I certainly agree with
                > him on the criticism of BankRate.com... ANY collectible is not truly
                > an investment... it's a speculation: you hope that someone in the
                > future will pay you more for the item than you paid. (The "greater
                > fool" theory). Of course, some people keep items (antiques or
                > otherwise) for sentimental reasons.. ("This was my grandfather's
                > rocking chair"..etc.) And, one of your descendants might feel that
                > way about your first single-board computer.

                I don't know *anyone* involved in vintage computing who considers it
                to be "speculation" or "investment". Anyone.

                And personally, with a few specific exceptions, nothing I (in
                particular) have here is for sale. Know how many tens of thousands of
                dollars I'd get if I were to put my PDP10s on eBay? (hint: the last one
                went for $25,000) They are NOT FOR SALE, plain and simple. They will
                be willed to someone. I don't buy vintage computer hardware in hopes of
                selling it to make a profit...I buy it because I want to HAVE it.

                I believe this describes nearly everyone in the vintage computing
                community, and certainly everyone here.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                  On 03/06/2013 11:48 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                  > I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"
                  >
                  > My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
                  > She is gone, my crap is still here.

                  Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
                  the door. End of story. (it has happened!)

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                    > On 03/06/2013 11:48 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                    > > I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of
                    endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"

                    > > My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell
                    phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
                    > > She is gone, my crap is still here.
                    >
                    > Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
                    > the door. End of story. (it has happened!)
                    >
                    > -Dave

                    True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a point
                    when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                    is... Sellam may have a new perspective on that.. We have to take our SO's
                    into account. Not everyone can appreciate our love of this hobby, there
                    are times where sensitivity is smart.

                    bd
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                      Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                        On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.

                        Damn suits.

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                          On 03/06/2013 12:51 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                          >>> I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of
                          > endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"
                          >>>
                          >>> My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell
                          > phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
                          >>> She is gone, my crap is still here.
                          >>
                          >> Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
                          >> the door. End of story. (it has happened!)
                          >
                          > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a point
                          > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                          > is... Sellam may have a new perspective on that.. We have to take our SO's
                          > into account. Not everyone can appreciate our love of this hobby, there
                          > are times where sensitivity is smart.

                          I think the real problem is a bit different. If an S.O. cannot come
                          to terms with something their partner loves, even if said S.O. doesn't
                          share that interest, then the S.O. is just plain incompatible.

                          Now, if a "collector" becomes unreasonable, like taking over the
                          whole house in a way that makes things difficult for the uninterested
                          S.O., that's a different problem entirely.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                            On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                            > And personally, with a few specific exceptions, nothing I (in
                            > particular) have here is for sale. Know how many tens of thousands of
                            > dollars I'd get if I were to put my PDP10s on eBay? (hint: the last one
                            > went for $25,000) They are NOT FOR SALE, plain and simple. They will
                            > be willed to someone. I don't buy vintage computer hardware in hopes of
                            > selling it to make a profit...I buy it because I want to HAVE it.

                            In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to contact
                            this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding homes
                            for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only fair
                            to her.

                            Someone else will have to help find buyers for $10,000 worth of brass
                            instruments. :-)

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                              >On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              >> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                              >
                              > Damn suits.

                              You just can't trust anybody with...

                              - a suit.
                              - a shave.
                              - a haircut.
                              - a "practiced" profession.
                              - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

                              :)

                            • Ray Sills
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to
                                > contact
                                > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding
                                > homes
                                > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only
                                > fair
                                > to her.
                                >
                                > Someone else will have to help find buyers for $10,000 worth of
                                > brass
                                > instruments. :-)

                                A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
                                of a legal will. Heaven forbid, but it could happen that one of us
                                expires along with our significant other in a common accident... (that
                                does happen). And I think virtually all of us would want to see that
                                these important items are placed in the hands of someone who will
                                continue to care for them... and not just get tossed as "junk". That
                                happens, too.

                                In my case, anything that might be of interest to MARCH, has already
                                been donated to MARCH... with the single exception of my RCA VIP.

                                73 de Ray
                              • joshbensadon
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013

                                  > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to contact
                                  > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding homes
                                  > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only fair
                                  > to her.

                                  That's a great idea. I personally would hope my son will take an interest but who knows? I didn't take an interest in my dad's stamp collection but hopefully, I'll find a way to get him involved.

                                  Does anyone here have children that are interested in this hobby?
                                  If so, would you say it's their nature or how you raised them?

                                  For Evan's sake, I'll label this as OT.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Josh
                                • Mike Loewen
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                    On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                                    > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                                    >
                                    >> On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                    >>> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                                    >>
                                    >> Damn suits.
                                    >
                                    > You just can't trust anybody with...
                                    >
                                    > - a suit.
                                    > - a shave.
                                    > - a haircut.
                                    > - a "practiced" profession.
                                    > - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

                                    Hey, I must be trustworthy!

                                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                  • William Donzelli
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                      > In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
                                      > will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
                                      > grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
                                      > laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
                                      > And, that still does not make it an investment.

                                      All these PeeCees and Windows machines we hate now will be worth money
                                      - and I think the timeframe will be far shorter than 100 years. Every
                                      class of gadget that had an impact on society becomes collectable
                                      eventually.

                                      > For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
                                      > a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
                                      > real estate, and financial instruments.

                                      This is not true. You can certainly have investments that are solely
                                      intended for heirs, either trusts or living people. There are indeed
                                      people that do this in their estate plans - it is not an uncommon
                                      strategy.

                                      --
                                      Will
                                    • William Donzelli
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                        > A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
                                        > of a legal will.

                                        Yes, as part of a will.

                                        However, nobody does this. And I really mean *nobody*.

                                        One part of my profession is buying up the estates of engineers and
                                        ham radio operators, and see this first hand. Widows are burdened with
                                        piles of interesting stuff that they all to often see as crap. For
                                        every estate cleanout I do, I hear of ten that went in the dumpster,
                                        because of a lack of proper, formal estate planning. And proper,
                                        formal estate planning means a will with detailed and explicit
                                        instructions on what is to be done with the collection.

                                        Anything else, as good as the intentions may be, is skating close to worthless.

                                        So...broadcasting to everyone here...create or update your wills.

                                        --
                                        Will
                                      • William Donzelli
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                          > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a
                                          > point
                                          > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                                          > is...

                                          Do you mean a Collection Policy?

                                          Nope, never heard of such a thing, either...

                                          --
                                          Will
                                        • Wesley Furr
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                            Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                                            lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                                            written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a line
                                            saying to see a related informal document?

                                            Sounds like a good idea regardless of what one is collecting...

                                            Wesley

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                              > Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                                              > lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                                              > written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a
                                              > line
                                              > saying to see a related informal document?

                                              A legal will does not have to be a lawyer-written and legalese-filled
                                              document, but often it is a good idea.

                                              It is also a good idea to have all the information in a will, rather
                                              than on attached documents. The latter are prone to getting lost, and
                                              can result in a tangle if the will is contested.

                                              To do this properly, the collection should be clearly defined, so the
                                              executor knows what is to be dealt with. Major items in the collection
                                              should be identified and listed with descriptions, model numbers, and
                                              even serial numbers, if applicable. There should be clear guidelines
                                              for the executor so they know how to deal with the collection. There
                                              should be contingencies in case the executor can not perform his
                                              duties (this happens a *lot* - executors die too), listing museums and
                                              historic groups that could potentially help. There should also be
                                              contingencies in case beneficiaries can not accept what is willed to
                                              them (because they die too).

                                              All this is basic estate lawyer stuff.

                                              --
                                              Will