Re: [midatlanticretro] Oy vey! Gross mischaracterizations of our hobby.

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
      Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> writes:

      >{...snip...}
      >I'm sorry I laughed like crazy with that one..
      >
      >First of all, if you take financial advice from any of NEWS Corp affiliates=
      >, you deserve what you get.

      Keep your poly-ticks off the list. If you had any common sense, you'd see
      that that article was taked, verbatim, from Bizrate.com. I have an ultra-
      Liberal friend who once trashed NEWS corp., like you, for an article that
      originated from the BBC news!

      >Second,=A0yes.. Lets tell people that Windows 98 computers are=A0collectibl=
      >e and those older ones in the 70s...=A0
      >Nah=A0that's=A0junk give it to me.
      >
      >Thanks for the laugh.=A0

      Aren't you insulting our fearless leader with such commentary?

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
        Well... Evan's oy vey notwithstanding... and I certainly agree with
        him on the criticism of BankRate.com... ANY collectible is not truly
        an investment... it's a speculation: you hope that someone in the
        future will pay you more for the item than you paid. (The "greater
        fool" theory). Of course, some people keep items (antiques or
        otherwise) for sentimental reasons.. ("This was my grandfather's
        rocking chair"..etc.) And, one of your descendants might feel that
        way about your first single-board computer.

        Nevertheless, you see on TV shows like Antiques Roadshow and the like,
        there are a lot of items that people own that are appraised at prices
        much greater than they paid, simply because the item is truly rare,
        made by a person of renown, or simply in demand because of a current
        fad. And a lot of those things are one-off items, or at least were
        produced in limited quantity from which only a few survive.

        In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
        will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
        grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
        laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
        And, that still does not make it an investment.

        For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
        a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
        real estate, and financial instruments. Sure, some of those things
        can be speculative too, but stock shares can pay dividends from
        earnings, real estate can be rented (or used, in which case you are
        your own landlord), and banks pay interest for the use of your money.

        73 de Ray
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
          >>> First of all, if you take financial advice from any of NEWS Corp affiliates

          >> Keep your poly-ticks off the list.

          +1 to what Brian said. No politics allowed here.
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
            >>> those older ones in the 70s...Nah that's junk give it to me.

            >> Aren't you insulting our fearless leader with such commentary?

            I took it with the humor that Chris intended.
          • Wesley Furr
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
              There is no doubt that older computers (certainly a good bit older than
              Win98!) have some value again, whereas once they were just old junk.
              However, except for a few rarities, almost none are worth their original
              purchase price...especially if you take inflation into consideration...

              Wesley

              They make it sound like we are a secret group out to make lots of money by
              collecting old computers.

              I will admit, the thought of a vintage computer as an investment did pass my
              mind, but there is no doubt it's my love of the 7400 and all it's friends
              that has lead me here.

              Regards,
              Josh
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                >> They make it sound like we are a secret group out to make lots of money by collecting old computers.

                Shh! People might find out. :)
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013

                  > In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
                  > will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
                  > grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
                  > laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
                  > And, that still does not make it an investment.
                  >
                  > For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
                  > a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
                  > real estate, and financial instruments. Sure, some of those things
                  > can be speculative too, but stock shares can pay dividends from
                  > earnings, real estate can be rented (or used, in which case you are
                  > your own landlord), and banks pay interest for the use of your money.

                  MARCH's mission is first of all to have fun and work together on projects
                  related to vintage computer preservation and use. Our other overall goal
                  is to educate other about computer history (in particular Mid-Atlantic's),
                  and to rescue and preserve historical computers in our care. Check MARCH
                  FAQ's...nothing about cashing in!

                  The wired article I was in was more on target.
                  http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/02/restorations-2/?pid=589
                  Focus on the positive!

                  They say any press is good press, Evan. :-)

                  bd
                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                    From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                    >I took it with the humor that Chris intended.

                    Thank you... Evan knows I am a bit on the warped humor side. (O_o )

                    I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"

                    My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
                    She is gone, my crap is still here.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                      On 03/06/2013 09:42 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
                      > Well... Evan's oy vey notwithstanding... and I certainly agree with
                      > him on the criticism of BankRate.com... ANY collectible is not truly
                      > an investment... it's a speculation: you hope that someone in the
                      > future will pay you more for the item than you paid. (The "greater
                      > fool" theory). Of course, some people keep items (antiques or
                      > otherwise) for sentimental reasons.. ("This was my grandfather's
                      > rocking chair"..etc.) And, one of your descendants might feel that
                      > way about your first single-board computer.

                      I don't know *anyone* involved in vintage computing who considers it
                      to be "speculation" or "investment". Anyone.

                      And personally, with a few specific exceptions, nothing I (in
                      particular) have here is for sale. Know how many tens of thousands of
                      dollars I'd get if I were to put my PDP10s on eBay? (hint: the last one
                      went for $25,000) They are NOT FOR SALE, plain and simple. They will
                      be willed to someone. I don't buy vintage computer hardware in hopes of
                      selling it to make a profit...I buy it because I want to HAVE it.

                      I believe this describes nearly everyone in the vintage computing
                      community, and certainly everyone here.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                        On 03/06/2013 11:48 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                        > I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"
                        >
                        > My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
                        > She is gone, my crap is still here.

                        Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
                        the door. End of story. (it has happened!)

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                          > On 03/06/2013 11:48 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                          > > I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of
                          endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"

                          > > My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell
                          phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
                          > > She is gone, my crap is still here.
                          >
                          > Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
                          > the door. End of story. (it has happened!)
                          >
                          > -Dave

                          True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a point
                          when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                          is... Sellam may have a new perspective on that.. We have to take our SO's
                          into account. Not everyone can appreciate our love of this hobby, there
                          are times where sensitivity is smart.

                          bd
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                            Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                              On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              > Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.

                              Damn suits.

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                On 03/06/2013 12:51 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                                >>> I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of
                                > endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"
                                >>>
                                >>> My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell
                                > phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
                                >>> She is gone, my crap is still here.
                                >>
                                >> Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
                                >> the door. End of story. (it has happened!)
                                >
                                > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a point
                                > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                                > is... Sellam may have a new perspective on that.. We have to take our SO's
                                > into account. Not everyone can appreciate our love of this hobby, there
                                > are times where sensitivity is smart.

                                I think the real problem is a bit different. If an S.O. cannot come
                                to terms with something their partner loves, even if said S.O. doesn't
                                share that interest, then the S.O. is just plain incompatible.

                                Now, if a "collector" becomes unreasonable, like taking over the
                                whole house in a way that makes things difficult for the uninterested
                                S.O., that's a different problem entirely.

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                New Kensington, PA
                              • Mike Loewen
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                  On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                  > And personally, with a few specific exceptions, nothing I (in
                                  > particular) have here is for sale. Know how many tens of thousands of
                                  > dollars I'd get if I were to put my PDP10s on eBay? (hint: the last one
                                  > went for $25,000) They are NOT FOR SALE, plain and simple. They will
                                  > be willed to someone. I don't buy vintage computer hardware in hopes of
                                  > selling it to make a profit...I buy it because I want to HAVE it.

                                  In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to contact
                                  this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding homes
                                  for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only fair
                                  to her.

                                  Someone else will have to help find buyers for $10,000 worth of brass
                                  instruments. :-)

                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                    >On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                    >> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                                    >
                                    > Damn suits.

                                    You just can't trust anybody with...

                                    - a suit.
                                    - a shave.
                                    - a haircut.
                                    - a "practiced" profession.
                                    - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

                                    :)

                                  • Ray Sills
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                      On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                      > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to
                                      > contact
                                      > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding
                                      > homes
                                      > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only
                                      > fair
                                      > to her.
                                      >
                                      > Someone else will have to help find buyers for $10,000 worth of
                                      > brass
                                      > instruments. :-)

                                      A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
                                      of a legal will. Heaven forbid, but it could happen that one of us
                                      expires along with our significant other in a common accident... (that
                                      does happen). And I think virtually all of us would want to see that
                                      these important items are placed in the hands of someone who will
                                      continue to care for them... and not just get tossed as "junk". That
                                      happens, too.

                                      In my case, anything that might be of interest to MARCH, has already
                                      been donated to MARCH... with the single exception of my RCA VIP.

                                      73 de Ray
                                    • joshbensadon
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013

                                        > In the event of my untimely demise, my wife has instructions to contact
                                        > this group for assistance in selling the valuable items and finding homes
                                        > for the rest. With working IMSAIs selling for > $2,000, that's only fair
                                        > to her.

                                        That's a great idea. I personally would hope my son will take an interest but who knows? I didn't take an interest in my dad's stamp collection but hopefully, I'll find a way to get him involved.

                                        Does anyone here have children that are interested in this hobby?
                                        If so, would you say it's their nature or how you raised them?

                                        For Evan's sake, I'll label this as OT.

                                        Cheers,
                                        Josh
                                      • Mike Loewen
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                          On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                                          > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                                          >
                                          >> On 03/06/2013 12:53 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                          >>> Wow, the Bankrate site has deleted my comment.
                                          >>
                                          >> Damn suits.
                                          >
                                          > You just can't trust anybody with...
                                          >
                                          > - a suit.
                                          > - a shave.
                                          > - a haircut.
                                          > - a "practiced" profession.
                                          > - a title other than Mr. or Mrs.

                                          Hey, I must be trustworthy!

                                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                        • William Donzelli
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                            > In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
                                            > will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
                                            > grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
                                            > laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
                                            > And, that still does not make it an investment.

                                            All these PeeCees and Windows machines we hate now will be worth money
                                            - and I think the timeframe will be far shorter than 100 years. Every
                                            class of gadget that had an impact on society becomes collectable
                                            eventually.

                                            > For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
                                            > a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
                                            > real estate, and financial instruments.

                                            This is not true. You can certainly have investments that are solely
                                            intended for heirs, either trusts or living people. There are indeed
                                            people that do this in their estate plans - it is not an uncommon
                                            strategy.

                                            --
                                            Will
                                          • William Donzelli
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                              > A very good idea. Even better would be to put it in writing, as part
                                              > of a legal will.

                                              Yes, as part of a will.

                                              However, nobody does this. And I really mean *nobody*.

                                              One part of my profession is buying up the estates of engineers and
                                              ham radio operators, and see this first hand. Widows are burdened with
                                              piles of interesting stuff that they all to often see as crap. For
                                              every estate cleanout I do, I hear of ten that went in the dumpster,
                                              because of a lack of proper, formal estate planning. And proper,
                                              formal estate planning means a will with detailed and explicit
                                              instructions on what is to be done with the collection.

                                              Anything else, as good as the intentions may be, is skating close to worthless.

                                              So...broadcasting to everyone here...create or update your wills.

                                              --
                                              Will
                                            • William Donzelli
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                                > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a
                                                > point
                                                > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
                                                > is...

                                                Do you mean a Collection Policy?

                                                Nope, never heard of such a thing, either...

                                                --
                                                Will
                                              • Wesley Furr
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                                  Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                                                  lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                                                  written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a line
                                                  saying to see a related informal document?

                                                  Sounds like a good idea regardless of what one is collecting...

                                                  Wesley

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 6, 2013
                                                    > Do these detailed and explicit instructions need to be part of a formal
                                                    > lawyer-written and legalese-filled document, or will it suffice to have a
                                                    > written note with your signed name on it? Or just a formal will with a
                                                    > line
                                                    > saying to see a related informal document?

                                                    A legal will does not have to be a lawyer-written and legalese-filled
                                                    document, but often it is a good idea.

                                                    It is also a good idea to have all the information in a will, rather
                                                    than on attached documents. The latter are prone to getting lost, and
                                                    can result in a tangle if the will is contested.

                                                    To do this properly, the collection should be clearly defined, so the
                                                    executor knows what is to be dealt with. Major items in the collection
                                                    should be identified and listed with descriptions, model numbers, and
                                                    even serial numbers, if applicable. There should be clear guidelines
                                                    for the executor so they know how to deal with the collection. There
                                                    should be contingencies in case the executor can not perform his
                                                    duties (this happens a *lot* - executors die too), listing museums and
                                                    historic groups that could potentially help. There should also be
                                                    contingencies in case beneficiaries can not accept what is willed to
                                                    them (because they die too).

                                                    All this is basic estate lawyer stuff.

                                                    --
                                                    Will