Speaking of IBM stuff...My Series 1

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2006
      In the early days of this list I posted info about my IBM Series
      1 system.

      Here are the basics for newer members:

      Inventory:
      qty) description
      2) 6' IBM 4997 Rack Units with shelves to house the processor and
      peripherals.
      1) IBM 4956 Processor (see http://www.btxmuseum.de/Hardware/geraet.
      asp?id=120 for German equivalent pic of control panel)
      1) Cambex Corp Model 80810 2-tape drive storage device (no tapes)
      1) IBM 4962 8" disk drive (w/ 3 boxes of software)
      1) IBM 4967 Hard drive (69kg)
      1) IBM 4963 Hard drive (55kg)
      1) IBM 4963A Hard drive (55kg)
      1) IBM 4978 display station and keyboard (display is bad, single
      horizontal line only)
      12) Series I system software/hardware manuals "standard 3-ring binder
      sized"
      20) Series I system software/hardware manuals (tall, blue, with IBM
      written on them)
      There is documentation for all components, plus service logs, software
      documentation, installation instructions, etc. Pretty complete.

      Misc. papers and other documentation and receipts.

      3 boxes of IBM software on 8" disks, including diagnostics for hardware.

      1 box of cables and jacks for additional display stations/terminals
      1 box of printer ribbons (no printer)

      product literature and period IBM sales circulars, etc.

      * The 4956 Processor is full of the appropriate cards for the peripherals
      (hard drives,
      tape drive, terminals, etc.) The system appears to have been upgraded
      at least once. I
      have been able to cable up most peripherals to the matching processor
      cards. I do not
      plan to power up the system at this time. I have cleaned each subsystem,
      but overall it
      was "clean enough" already. Most of the wear is on the rack unit,
      dings and the like.

      Overall condition is OK. Some dust removed.

      Serial cables for ~12 user stations.

      Bill D
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2006
        B Degnan wrote:
        > In the early days of this list I posted info about my IBM Series
        > 1 system.
        >
        > Here are the basics for newer members:
        >
        > Inventory:
        > qty) description
        > 2) 6' IBM 4997 Rack Units with shelves to house the processor and
        > peripherals.
        > 1) IBM 4956 Processor (see http://www.btxmuseum.de/Hardware/geraet.
        > asp?id=120 for German equivalent pic of control panel)
        > 1) Cambex Corp Model 80810 2-tape drive storage device (no tapes)
        > 1) IBM 4962 8" disk drive (w/ 3 boxes of software)
        > 1) IBM 4967 Hard drive (69kg)
        > 1) IBM 4963 Hard drive (55kg)
        > 1) IBM 4963A Hard drive (55kg)
        > 1) IBM 4978 display station and keyboard (display is bad, single
        > horizontal line only)
        > 12) Series I system software/hardware manuals "standard 3-ring binder
        > sized"
        > 20) Series I system software/hardware manuals (tall, blue, with IBM
        > written on them)
        > There is documentation for all components, plus service logs, software
        > documentation, installation instructions, etc. Pretty complete.
        >
        > Misc. papers and other documentation and receipts.
        >
        > 3 boxes of IBM software on 8" disks, including diagnostics for hardware.
        >
        > 1 box of cables and jacks for additional display stations/terminals
        > 1 box of printer ribbons (no printer)
        >
        > product literature and period IBM sales circulars, etc.
        >
        > * The 4956 Processor is full of the appropriate cards for the peripherals
        > (hard drives,
        > tape drive, terminals, etc.) The system appears to have been upgraded
        > at least once. I
        > have been able to cable up most peripherals to the matching processor
        > cards. I do not
        > plan to power up the system at this time. I have cleaned each subsystem,
        > but overall it
        > was "clean enough" already. Most of the wear is on the rack unit,
        > dings and the like.
        >
        > Overall condition is OK. Some dust removed.
        >
        > Serial cables for ~12 user stations.

        Do you run it?

        One of my first jobs was programming control software for manufacturing
        robots in assembler on the Series/1.

        Peace... Sridhar
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2006
          I have never ran it, I don't have adequate power. It's wrapped in a
          dust-free cover and essentially ready for use. I was just looking over all
          of the manuals today. At some point I need to bring it to InfoAge. My IBM
          knowledge is limited, but I have done some hardware setups in the past, I
          worked at IBM for 6 months as an intern, and my job was to move and set up
          whatever systems the sales reps needed to me. Mostly I did smaller
          stuff. Fun.
          Bill