Re: Roll Call for VCF E

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 1, 2013
      Bill Degnan wrote:

      > > Two ideas if you bring an '8:
      > > - Explain to visitors how big computers were often used to develop for
      > > little ones
      > > - Bring your Straight 8, and explain the connection to RESISTORS, Ted
      > > Nelson, etc.

      Just an annoying note: the actual RESISTORs straight-8 was already exhibited at TCF.

      Will Donzelli wrote:

      > The PDP-8 line were certainly used in industry and academia
      > "homebrewing", as a cheap processor for all sorts of custom
      > installations (experiments, machine control, test rigs, etc.).

      As I posted, what's being called "homebrewing", was normal practice in the era. Most everyone was adapting whatever they could get, old or new, to do whatever they were trying to do.

      About PDP-8's. It's fair to say they were the period alternative to having a microcomputer, until microcomputers became available. It's useful to see a PDP-8 or some other minicomputer to compare and contrast. Some kind of DEC computing widget, should be at every VCF.

      Um, there's actually a lot I could bring from around 1975. It's hard to decide among single-boards like KIM, or systems like the Northstar Horizon. I've committed to bring the Xitan TDL system, it's a "local" product, but it won't be running. Its Z80 board was pretty early.

      I've got a couple of thoughts about a running system. The Northstar Horizon is pretty "clean" but age-appropriate - you guys won't call it "homebrew". But it runs, CP/M at that. So does (or did) my Heath H-8. I suppose I could add an ADM-3A to keep it all period. But it's not like I can run Spacewar, or even Adventure, just not my thing to run games. I could at least show a papertape system with it (the H-10 reader/punch), again not running. I did not expect this event.

      One of the more unusual computers in retrospect, is "the digital group", now kind of scarce. the model I happen to have certainly LOOKS "homebrew" as it's hot-wired up in various ways. Again, not running. It's in-theme by date and appearance. But as I've posted I have mixed feelings about showing stuff that looks wired up (in other words, NORMAL for 1977) just to be ridiculed as hopelessly primitive.

      I won't bring it all, I'm an old man not a pack mule. And I dont' want to crowd other MARCHians out. If people have some particular preferences, I'll follow the thread every few days, see what is said. I have some ideas and themes I'll consider in the meantime, see what I can wake up.

      Herb
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 2, 2013
        Herb,

        > Um, there's actually a lot I could bring from around 1975. It's hard to
        decide among single-boards like KIM, or systems like the Northstar Horizon.
        I've committed to bring the Xitan TDL system, it's a "local" product, but
        it won't be running. Its Z80 board was pretty early.

        I had written earlier that it'd be better for this particular exhibit that
        we try to bring one complete and functional "system" rather than a
        hoge-podge of stuff. Don't feel obligated to bring the XITAN, if it does
        not work.

        > I've got a couple of thoughts about a running system. The Northstar
        Horizon is pretty "clean" but age-appropriate - you guys won't call it
        "homebrew". But it runs, CP/M at that. So does (or did) my Heath H-8. I
        suppose I could add an ADM-3A to keep it all period. But it's not like I
        can run Spacewar, or even Adventure, just not my thing to run games. I
        could at least show a papertape system with it (the H-10 reader/punch),
        again not running. I did not expect this event.

        > One of the more unusual computers in retrospect, is "the digital group",
        now kind of scarce. the model I happen to have certainly LOOKS "homebrew"
        as it's hot-wired up in various ways. Again, not running. It's in-theme by
        date and appearance. But as I've posted I have mixed feelings about showing
        stuff that looks wired up (in other words, NORMAL for 1977) just to be
        ridiculed as hopelessly primitive.

        If you want to keep it simple, an SBC that turns on a light when you change
        the value of a memory location would be just fine and would demonstrate the
        homebrew principles we discussed. But a Horizon that works is fine too. I
        assume Evan will be bringing the Apple I, which is effectively an Apple II
        without a case, not really homebrew in the traditional sense except that
        you could buy the kit version. But it's a crowd pleaser.

        Please don't stress this. We have a small classroom, not much space.
        Choose a nice compact, labeled system. I will be bringing (probably) my
        Altair 680 with hacked SWTPc RAM cards. Not sure what kind of terminal.

        We'll do another roll call of items being exhibited in about a week.