Re: New Member

  • orion3311
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 27, 2013
      Maybe it was a different event then or two years ago...someone was building a kit to do a test pattern on an arcade vector monitor (they mentioned Atari in the description).

      I like making test rigs for various things so I was really curious about how they built it. Thats all.

      Jeff

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

      > On 2/27/2013 12:11 PM, orion3311 wrote:
      > > Actually I'm curious - one thing I missed and REALLY wanted to see was the presentation for building a Vector monitor tester? Anyone have info (or a vid?) of that from last year's VCF (I think?).
      > >
      > > Arcade games and coin-op are another interest of mine. I have waaay too many hobbies.
      >
      > welcome Jeff, I'm on the other side of PA, near Pittsburgh.
      > Did you mean you need to repair a vector monitor ?
      > I dabble with arcades myself. But I usually have the entire game itself
      > when trying to repair the vector monitor. As the built-in test is
      > usually quite adequate to verify if the monitor is aligned properly.
      > The workshop from last years VCFeast was actually a kit to build a
      > display controller for your vintage computer. I'm currently in the
      > middle of making some changes to improve the linearity. There's no video
      > as of yet as it been slow going - the past year has been kinda rough.
      > But I'll keep you posted.
      >
      > Dan

    • gsteemso
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 27, 2013
        Hi guys,

        > [Evan wrote]
        >> * Just for kicks and grins, I might name the event VCF East 9.1.0.14
        >> Maintenance Release 3 Beta Build 6. :)

        I about ruptured something laughing at this, and then…

        > not a bad t shirt

        …this set me off laughing again. Good exercise for the diaphragm, I guess. I think it’s a great idea, BTW. If I lived closer than continental distances from your event I’d definitely attend and buy one.

        In any case, the reason I have temporarily delurked is to ask what is the most egregious real-life version number of that kidney that people have encountered? I vaguely recall finding mention of one about half that long when I was looking for something else (I think it was a Microsoft service pack when I was searching for something Mac-related), but unfortunately I didn’t really register the details. The longest one I _can_ remember the details of was just something of Knuth’s (TeX perhaps?), which got longer and longer, asymptotically approaching pi, as bugs were fixed. That hardly even rates a mention, though â€" not enough egregious verbiage involved.

        Gordon Steemson

        --
        the world’s only gsteemso
        Seattle Retro-Computing Society’s agitator-in-chief