Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Mark 8 pictures

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
      On 26/02/2013 16:11, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      >>> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?

      I think for normal levels of ZOOM my new Sony Smartphone is actually
      better than my 5 year old Fuji camera.

      https://picasaweb.google.com/109617668049845980735/PegasusTapeCreed25Punch?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXE-oXkhYbxrAE#

      > I don't, nor does MARCH have one.
      >
      > Even if we did, I know zilch about taking pictures, with no particular time/interest to learn.

    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

        > There's no need to worry about becoming a photographer here - but
        > knowing the basics can even get you far.

        I agree with Dan. Almost any new camera is good enough, the trick to good pictures is lighting and a steady camera.

        Use soft light, that is, light that comes from everywhere. If you can hang white sheets around your object then point light at those sheets, the light will evenly glow around the object.

        Steady the camera, put it on a tripod, or hold it against a sturdy base.

        At home, I use two 500W flood lights, 1 pointed at the white ceiling and the other pointed at a white sheet I toss over the cabinets behind me. I use a tripod and turn OFF the cheap flash that comes with my camera.
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
          Hey! Turns out my instinct was correct last night. This computer * does * open like a cabinet drawer. Pictures soon, but, for now my dinner is ready. Stay tuned. :)
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
            So ... got it open, took crappy phone pictures, and then closed it / packed for bringing to Trenton.

            I can't believe how clean this system is inside!

            Put the LED banks back into the front panel holes.

            The card cage is loose on one end. As I mentioned yesterday, I think I heard a screw or nut rattling inside. Didn't want to dig too deep tonight.

            Corey, you'll have an easy time making a case for this unit. Two sides, top, back, ventilation slots, fan is needed, and hole for the power cord.
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 5 6:04 PM

              > So ... got it open, took crappy phone pictures, and then closed it / packed for bringing to Trenton.

              Does MARCH have some original 8008 documentation? Chances are most people seeing this won't know what an 8008 is. They might know what an 8080 is. I suppose it would be best, if someone could reprint one of the Intel 8008 manuals so people can paw though it without risk of damage or worse, loss.

              it would save some wear and tear, if photos of the boards could be displayed. I suppose photos of another Mark-8 board's would be a substitute on short notice.

              Herb
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 6 6:38 AM
                most of what you need in terms of 8008 documentation is online - here are couple of sites.

                http://bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm
                http://www.scelbi.com

                I'm working on a quick reference card for the SCELBI and 8008. Much of the SCELBI side content is pertinent to the Mark 8. I will eventually get a batch printed on card stock like the old style CPU instruction set quick reference cards. It is designed so it could be folded and/or laminated. If you want a pdf of the current version (it is still being tweaked), let me know.

                Regards,
                Mike W.

                mike@...

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 6 7:30 AM
                  > most of what you need in terms of 8008 documentation is online - here are
                  couple of sites.

                  > http://bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm
                  > http://www.scelbi.com
                  >
                  > I'm working on a quick reference card for the SCELBI and 8008. Much of
                  the SCELBI side content is pertinent to the Mark 8. I will eventually get
                  a batch printed on card stock like the old style CPU instruction set quick
                  reference cards. It is designed so it could be folded and/or laminated.
                  If you want a pdf of the current version (it is still being tweaked), let
                  me know.

                  Also
                  http://vintagecomputer.net/Scelbi/