Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Mark 8 pictures

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
      On 2/26/2013 10:03 AM, ekoblentz wrote:
      > Ah-ha! Now that I'm watching the video on a large screen, vs. on my phone, I see what I did wrong last night. When sitting intact (case on), it looks like the front panel just unscrews. But now I see that the front panel stays in place and the whole top lifts off.

      while you have your smartphone there, it's wise to take pictures of each
      step during the disassembly. In case you don't recall where something
      belongs, when it's time to assemble it again. This includes orientation
      of components/parts, not just the location.

      Dan
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
        On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Dan Roganti wrote:

        > On 2/26/2013 10:03 AM, ekoblentz wrote:
        >> Ah-ha! Now that I'm watching the video on a large screen, vs. on my phone, I see what I did wrong last night. When sitting intact (case on), it looks like the front panel just unscrews. But now I see that the front panel stays in place and the whole top lifts off.
        >>
        > while you have your smartphone there, it's wise to take pictures of each
        > step during the disassembly. In case you don't recall where something
        > belongs, when it's time to assemble it again. This includes orientation
        > of components/parts, not just the location.

        On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better
        digital or DSLR camera to use?

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
          >> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?

          I don't, nor does MARCH have one.

          Even if we did, I know zilch about taking pictures, with no particular time/interest to learn.
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
            On 2/26/2013 11:11 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            >>> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?
            > I don't, nor does MARCH have one.
            >
            > Even if we did, I know zilch about taking pictures, with no particular time/interest to learn.

            There's no need to worry about becoming a photographer here - but
            knowing the basics can even get you far. If your smartphone has several
            MP's in resolution, some have 8MP or more these days, even one with 3MP
            even does the job. This is just for documentation, we're not trying to
            win the Pulitzer here.
            As long as your phone as auto focus it should focus immediately on the
            object. Just have enough lighting on the object, and no shadows - so
            sometime you like to have 2 lamps crossing each other - one on the right
            and left side - at an angle to reduce shadows. Use the correct exposure
            setting for indoors photos- some phones have options for which type of
            lighting are used, FL bulbs, Incandescent. But you also like to have a
            Macro lens setting option for those closeup shots (usually depicted with
            a Tulip icon in your phone's menu) in oreder to view the components up
            close. And keep your hand still while taking photos :)

            Dan
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
              On 26/02/2013 16:11, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              >>> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?

              I think for normal levels of ZOOM my new Sony Smartphone is actually
              better than my 5 year old Fuji camera.

              https://picasaweb.google.com/109617668049845980735/PegasusTapeCreed25Punch?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXE-oXkhYbxrAE#

              > I don't, nor does MARCH have one.
              >
              > Even if we did, I know zilch about taking pictures, with no particular time/interest to learn.

            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                > There's no need to worry about becoming a photographer here - but
                > knowing the basics can even get you far.

                I agree with Dan. Almost any new camera is good enough, the trick to good pictures is lighting and a steady camera.

                Use soft light, that is, light that comes from everywhere. If you can hang white sheets around your object then point light at those sheets, the light will evenly glow around the object.

                Steady the camera, put it on a tripod, or hold it against a sturdy base.

                At home, I use two 500W flood lights, 1 pointed at the white ceiling and the other pointed at a white sheet I toss over the cabinets behind me. I use a tripod and turn OFF the cheap flash that comes with my camera.
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                  Hey! Turns out my instinct was correct last night. This computer * does * open like a cabinet drawer. Pictures soon, but, for now my dinner is ready. Stay tuned. :)
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                    So ... got it open, took crappy phone pictures, and then closed it / packed for bringing to Trenton.

                    I can't believe how clean this system is inside!

                    Put the LED banks back into the front panel holes.

                    The card cage is loose on one end. As I mentioned yesterday, I think I heard a screw or nut rattling inside. Didn't want to dig too deep tonight.

                    Corey, you'll have an easy time making a case for this unit. Two sides, top, back, ventilation slots, fan is needed, and hole for the power cord.
                  • s100doctor
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 5, 2013

                      > So ... got it open, took crappy phone pictures, and then closed it / packed for bringing to Trenton.

                      Does MARCH have some original 8008 documentation? Chances are most people seeing this won't know what an 8008 is. They might know what an 8080 is. I suppose it would be best, if someone could reprint one of the Intel 8008 manuals so people can paw though it without risk of damage or worse, loss.

                      it would save some wear and tear, if photos of the boards could be displayed. I suppose photos of another Mark-8 board's would be a substitute on short notice.

                      Herb
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 6, 2013
                        most of what you need in terms of 8008 documentation is online - here are couple of sites.

                        http://bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm
                        http://www.scelbi.com

                        I'm working on a quick reference card for the SCELBI and 8008. Much of the SCELBI side content is pertinent to the Mark 8. I will eventually get a batch printed on card stock like the old style CPU instruction set quick reference cards. It is designed so it could be folded and/or laminated. If you want a pdf of the current version (it is still being tweaked), let me know.

                        Regards,
                        Mike W.

                        mike@...

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 6, 2013
                          > most of what you need in terms of 8008 documentation is online - here are
                          couple of sites.

                          > http://bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm
                          > http://www.scelbi.com
                          >
                          > I'm working on a quick reference card for the SCELBI and 8008. Much of
                          the SCELBI side content is pertinent to the Mark 8. I will eventually get
                          a batch printed on card stock like the old style CPU instruction set quick
                          reference cards. It is designed so it could be folded and/or laminated.
                          If you want a pdf of the current version (it is still being tweaked), let
                          me know.

                          Also
                          http://vintagecomputer.net/Scelbi/