Re: Mark 8 pictures

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
      Ah-ha! Now that I'm watching the video on a large screen, vs. on my phone, I see what I did wrong last night. When sitting intact (case on), it looks like the front panel just unscrews. But now I see that the front panel stays in place and the whole top lifts off.

      For all the times I've opened MARCH's Altairs, IMSAIs, North*, etc., you'd think I would know that by now!?!?

      In my defense :) what confused me was the lack of screws on the sides and bottom. It didn't look like the sides/top were removable. Only screws are on the front panel, so it looked like the computer slides forward, as with a cabinet drawer.

      Looking forward to having another try at it tonight (possibly not until 9:30/10ish).

      I heard something small rattling inside -- sounded like a screw or a nut -- it's probably what holds the other bank of LEDs to the front panel.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
        On 2/26/2013 10:03 AM, ekoblentz wrote:
        > Ah-ha! Now that I'm watching the video on a large screen, vs. on my phone, I see what I did wrong last night. When sitting intact (case on), it looks like the front panel just unscrews. But now I see that the front panel stays in place and the whole top lifts off.

        while you have your smartphone there, it's wise to take pictures of each
        step during the disassembly. In case you don't recall where something
        belongs, when it's time to assemble it again. This includes orientation
        of components/parts, not just the location.

        Dan
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
          On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Dan Roganti wrote:

          > On 2/26/2013 10:03 AM, ekoblentz wrote:
          >> Ah-ha! Now that I'm watching the video on a large screen, vs. on my phone, I see what I did wrong last night. When sitting intact (case on), it looks like the front panel just unscrews. But now I see that the front panel stays in place and the whole top lifts off.
          >>
          > while you have your smartphone there, it's wise to take pictures of each
          > step during the disassembly. In case you don't recall where something
          > belongs, when it's time to assemble it again. This includes orientation
          > of components/parts, not just the location.

          On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better
          digital or DSLR camera to use?

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
            >> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?

            I don't, nor does MARCH have one.

            Even if we did, I know zilch about taking pictures, with no particular time/interest to learn.
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
              On 2/26/2013 11:11 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              >>> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?
              > I don't, nor does MARCH have one.
              >
              > Even if we did, I know zilch about taking pictures, with no particular time/interest to learn.

              There's no need to worry about becoming a photographer here - but
              knowing the basics can even get you far. If your smartphone has several
              MP's in resolution, some have 8MP or more these days, even one with 3MP
              even does the job. This is just for documentation, we're not trying to
              win the Pulitzer here.
              As long as your phone as auto focus it should focus immediately on the
              object. Just have enough lighting on the object, and no shadows - so
              sometime you like to have 2 lamps crossing each other - one on the right
              and left side - at an angle to reduce shadows. Use the correct exposure
              setting for indoors photos- some phones have options for which type of
              lighting are used, FL bulbs, Incandescent. But you also like to have a
              Macro lens setting option for those closeup shots (usually depicted with
              a Tulip icon in your phone's menu) in oreder to view the components up
              close. And keep your hand still while taking photos :)

              Dan
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                On 26/02/2013 16:11, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >>> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?

                I think for normal levels of ZOOM my new Sony Smartphone is actually
                better than my 5 year old Fuji camera.

                https://picasaweb.google.com/109617668049845980735/PegasusTapeCreed25Punch?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXE-oXkhYbxrAE#

                > I don't, nor does MARCH have one.
                >
                > Even if we did, I know zilch about taking pictures, with no particular time/interest to learn.

              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                  > There's no need to worry about becoming a photographer here - but
                  > knowing the basics can even get you far.

                  I agree with Dan. Almost any new camera is good enough, the trick to good pictures is lighting and a steady camera.

                  Use soft light, that is, light that comes from everywhere. If you can hang white sheets around your object then point light at those sheets, the light will evenly glow around the object.

                  Steady the camera, put it on a tripod, or hold it against a sturdy base.

                  At home, I use two 500W flood lights, 1 pointed at the white ceiling and the other pointed at a white sheet I toss over the cabinets behind me. I use a tripod and turn OFF the cheap flash that comes with my camera.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                    Hey! Turns out my instinct was correct last night. This computer * does * open like a cabinet drawer. Pictures soon, but, for now my dinner is ready. Stay tuned. :)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                      So ... got it open, took crappy phone pictures, and then closed it / packed for bringing to Trenton.

                      I can't believe how clean this system is inside!

                      Put the LED banks back into the front panel holes.

                      The card cage is loose on one end. As I mentioned yesterday, I think I heard a screw or nut rattling inside. Didn't want to dig too deep tonight.

                      Corey, you'll have an easy time making a case for this unit. Two sides, top, back, ventilation slots, fan is needed, and hole for the power cord.
                    • s100doctor
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 5, 2013

                        > So ... got it open, took crappy phone pictures, and then closed it / packed for bringing to Trenton.

                        Does MARCH have some original 8008 documentation? Chances are most people seeing this won't know what an 8008 is. They might know what an 8080 is. I suppose it would be best, if someone could reprint one of the Intel 8008 manuals so people can paw though it without risk of damage or worse, loss.

                        it would save some wear and tear, if photos of the boards could be displayed. I suppose photos of another Mark-8 board's would be a substitute on short notice.

                        Herb
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 6, 2013
                          most of what you need in terms of 8008 documentation is online - here are couple of sites.

                          http://bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm
                          http://www.scelbi.com

                          I'm working on a quick reference card for the SCELBI and 8008. Much of the SCELBI side content is pertinent to the Mark 8. I will eventually get a batch printed on card stock like the old style CPU instruction set quick reference cards. It is designed so it could be folded and/or laminated. If you want a pdf of the current version (it is still being tweaked), let me know.

                          Regards,
                          Mike W.

                          mike@...

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 6, 2013
                            > most of what you need in terms of 8008 documentation is online - here are
                            couple of sites.

                            > http://bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm
                            > http://www.scelbi.com
                            >
                            > I'm working on a quick reference card for the SCELBI and 8008. Much of
                            the SCELBI side content is pertinent to the Mark 8. I will eventually get
                            a batch printed on card stock like the old style CPU instruction set quick
                            reference cards. It is designed so it could be folded and/or laminated.
                            If you want a pdf of the current version (it is still being tweaked), let
                            me know.

                            Also
                            http://vintagecomputer.net/Scelbi/