Re: Mark 8 pictures

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013

      > The computer arrived safely and it's gorgeous!
      >
      > But enough of my yapping! Here are cameraphone pictures:
      >
      > http://snarc.net/m8angle.jpg
      >
      > http://snarc.net/m8case.jpg
      >
      > http://snarc.net/m8close.jpg

      WOW! That's beautiful! I love the covered power switch, I guess you wouldn't want to turn off the power by accident! Imagine entering 256 bytes of program/data then flipping the power switch instead of RUN!!!

      I have some extra molex connectors incase the I/O board wasn't fully populated. But perhaps you don't want to change a thing? That's cool.

      Hope it boots up!

      Regards,
      Josh
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
        >> perhaps you don't want to change a thing? That's cool.

        We have permission to restore the computer to original working condition, and we intend to do so.

        >> Hope it boots up!

        That's a long way off. Bill Deg., Herb, etc. will examine it at Trenton and decide how to proceed. This is definitely NOT a "plug in and see what happens" system. :)

        I have contact info the system's original owner. Even though Dave L. co-founded Blacksburg Group, he acquired this particular Mark 8 from someone else. But he stayed in contact with that person (I think his name is George) and told him that it's been loaned for a museum. Dave said George is happy about that. One of these says I'll interview him.
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013

          > >> Hope it boots up!
          >
          > That's a long way off. Bill Deg., Herb, etc. will examine it at Trenton and decide how to proceed. This is definitely NOT a "plug in and see what happens" system. :)

          Oh, most definitely! Even though I only have a replica, I still value it and wouldn't think of running it without a crow bar circuit on the +5 and -9 supply.

          > I have contact info the system's original owner. Even though Dave L. co-founded Blacksburg Group,

          How is Dave doing? I heard he fell off the roof in the summer, broke his leg.

          > museum. Dave said George is happy about that. One of these says I'll interview him.

          Yes, please do interview! and thanks for taking the history of computing so seriously! I love hearing these stories. Are your interviews open for public reading?

          Cheers,
          Josh
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
            A few updates:

            - Dave made a video of this computer and put it on Youtube! http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nskEKaIN_AQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnskEKaIN_AQ

            - He emailed me with simple instructions about how to open the case.

            - He also sent some better pictures (which I'll post later) and he noted that a bank of lights must've come loose inside the case.

            - I changed my mind; Corey C., we will ask you to fabricate a clear case after all.
          • Bill Dromgoole
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
              Here is the desktop link to the March Mark-8 computer.
              The mobile link didn't work for me .

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nskEKaIN_AQ

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                Ah-ha! Now that I'm watching the video on a large screen, vs. on my phone, I see what I did wrong last night. When sitting intact (case on), it looks like the front panel just unscrews. But now I see that the front panel stays in place and the whole top lifts off.

                For all the times I've opened MARCH's Altairs, IMSAIs, North*, etc., you'd think I would know that by now!?!?

                In my defense :) what confused me was the lack of screws on the sides and bottom. It didn't look like the sides/top were removable. Only screws are on the front panel, so it looked like the computer slides forward, as with a cabinet drawer.

                Looking forward to having another try at it tonight (possibly not until 9:30/10ish).

                I heard something small rattling inside -- sounded like a screw or a nut -- it's probably what holds the other bank of LEDs to the front panel.
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                  On 2/26/2013 10:03 AM, ekoblentz wrote:
                  > Ah-ha! Now that I'm watching the video on a large screen, vs. on my phone, I see what I did wrong last night. When sitting intact (case on), it looks like the front panel just unscrews. But now I see that the front panel stays in place and the whole top lifts off.

                  while you have your smartphone there, it's wise to take pictures of each
                  step during the disassembly. In case you don't recall where something
                  belongs, when it's time to assemble it again. This includes orientation
                  of components/parts, not just the location.

                  Dan
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                    On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Dan Roganti wrote:

                    > On 2/26/2013 10:03 AM, ekoblentz wrote:
                    >> Ah-ha! Now that I'm watching the video on a large screen, vs. on my phone, I see what I did wrong last night. When sitting intact (case on), it looks like the front panel just unscrews. But now I see that the front panel stays in place and the whole top lifts off.
                    >>
                    > while you have your smartphone there, it's wise to take pictures of each
                    > step during the disassembly. In case you don't recall where something
                    > belongs, when it's time to assemble it again. This includes orientation
                    > of components/parts, not just the location.

                    On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better
                    digital or DSLR camera to use?

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                      >> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?

                      I don't, nor does MARCH have one.

                      Even if we did, I know zilch about taking pictures, with no particular time/interest to learn.
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                        On 2/26/2013 11:11 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        >>> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?
                        > I don't, nor does MARCH have one.
                        >
                        > Even if we did, I know zilch about taking pictures, with no particular time/interest to learn.

                        There's no need to worry about becoming a photographer here - but
                        knowing the basics can even get you far. If your smartphone has several
                        MP's in resolution, some have 8MP or more these days, even one with 3MP
                        even does the job. This is just for documentation, we're not trying to
                        win the Pulitzer here.
                        As long as your phone as auto focus it should focus immediately on the
                        object. Just have enough lighting on the object, and no shadows - so
                        sometime you like to have 2 lamps crossing each other - one on the right
                        and left side - at an angle to reduce shadows. Use the correct exposure
                        setting for indoors photos- some phones have options for which type of
                        lighting are used, FL bulbs, Incandescent. But you also like to have a
                        Macro lens setting option for those closeup shots (usually depicted with
                        a Tulip icon in your phone's menu) in oreder to view the components up
                        close. And keep your hand still while taking photos :)

                        Dan
                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                          On 26/02/2013 16:11, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          >>> On that subject, I hate smart phone pictures. Do we have a better digital or DSLR camera to use?

                          I think for normal levels of ZOOM my new Sony Smartphone is actually
                          better than my 5 year old Fuji camera.

                          https://picasaweb.google.com/109617668049845980735/PegasusTapeCreed25Punch?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXE-oXkhYbxrAE#

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                            > There's no need to worry about becoming a photographer here - but
                            > knowing the basics can even get you far.

                            I agree with Dan. Almost any new camera is good enough, the trick to good pictures is lighting and a steady camera.

                            Use soft light, that is, light that comes from everywhere. If you can hang white sheets around your object then point light at those sheets, the light will evenly glow around the object.

                            Steady the camera, put it on a tripod, or hold it against a sturdy base.

                            At home, I use two 500W flood lights, 1 pointed at the white ceiling and the other pointed at a white sheet I toss over the cabinets behind me. I use a tripod and turn OFF the cheap flash that comes with my camera.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                              Hey! Turns out my instinct was correct last night. This computer * does * open like a cabinet drawer. Pictures soon, but, for now my dinner is ready. Stay tuned. :)
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
                                So ... got it open, took crappy phone pictures, and then closed it / packed for bringing to Trenton.

                                I can't believe how clean this system is inside!

                                Put the LED banks back into the front panel holes.

                                The card cage is loose on one end. As I mentioned yesterday, I think I heard a screw or nut rattling inside. Didn't want to dig too deep tonight.

                                Corey, you'll have an easy time making a case for this unit. Two sides, top, back, ventilation slots, fan is needed, and hole for the power cord.
                              • s100doctor
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 5, 2013

                                  > So ... got it open, took crappy phone pictures, and then closed it / packed for bringing to Trenton.

                                  Does MARCH have some original 8008 documentation? Chances are most people seeing this won't know what an 8008 is. They might know what an 8080 is. I suppose it would be best, if someone could reprint one of the Intel 8008 manuals so people can paw though it without risk of damage or worse, loss.

                                  it would save some wear and tear, if photos of the boards could be displayed. I suppose photos of another Mark-8 board's would be a substitute on short notice.

                                  Herb
                                • Mike
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 6, 2013
                                    most of what you need in terms of 8008 documentation is online - here are couple of sites.

                                    http://bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm
                                    http://www.scelbi.com

                                    I'm working on a quick reference card for the SCELBI and 8008. Much of the SCELBI side content is pertinent to the Mark 8. I will eventually get a batch printed on card stock like the old style CPU instruction set quick reference cards. It is designed so it could be folded and/or laminated. If you want a pdf of the current version (it is still being tweaked), let me know.

                                    Regards,
                                    Mike W.

                                    mike@...

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 6, 2013
                                      > most of what you need in terms of 8008 documentation is online - here are
                                      couple of sites.

                                      > http://bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm
                                      > http://www.scelbi.com
                                      >
                                      > I'm working on a quick reference card for the SCELBI and 8008. Much of
                                      the SCELBI side content is pertinent to the Mark 8. I will eventually get
                                      a batch printed on card stock like the old style CPU instruction set quick
                                      reference cards. It is designed so it could be folded and/or laminated.
                                      If you want a pdf of the current version (it is still being tweaked), let
                                      me know.

                                      Also
                                      http://vintagecomputer.net/Scelbi/