Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Semi-OT: Preserve old cassette tape?

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 25, 2013
      --- On Mon, 2/25/13, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

      > I have had virtually no success in getting any thing that's
      > even half
      > listen-able too off cassette tapes, even pro Dolby tapes.

      You must be doing something wrong. I mean, sure, I've run across a few bad recordings and damaged tapes, but by and large, cassettes sound quite good. I use them regularly. A good recording on good tape can really sound fantastic. Are you sure your cassette player is aligned properly? Do you live near a massive power transformer or other source of magnetic interference? Indian burial ground?

      > In this modern age of loss-less, noise free
      > digital copying
      > we have forgotten how utterly appalling the quality of the
      > "Compact
      > Cassette" was...

      Some low grade tape is truly bad. But, again, cassettes can sound very, very good - don't dismiss the format entirely. It's not digital, no, but it's not 8-track either.

      -Ian
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 25, 2013
        On 25/02/2013 15:16, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
        > --- On Mon, 2/25/13, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I have had virtually no success in getting any thing that's
        >> even half
        >> listen-able too off cassette tapes, even pro Dolby tapes.
        > You must be doing something wrong. I mean, sure, I've run across a few bad recordings and damaged tapes, but by and large, cassettes sound quite good. I use them regularly. A good recording on good tape can really sound fantastic. Are you sure your cassette player is aligned properly? Do you live near a massive power transformer or other source of magnetic interference? Indian burial ground?
        Nope the nearest thing is the local trams which are about 300yds (two
        blocks) away.

        http://www.altrincham.org.uk/PublicTransport.asp

        I have tried a selection of cassette players, a selection of sound
        cards, and it always sounds naff when I play back the resulting audio,
        be it in the car, on a computer or via my Android phone....
        >> In this modern age of loss-less, noise free
        >> digital copying
        >> we have forgotten how utterly appalling the quality of the
        >> "Compact
        >> Cassette" was...
        > Some low grade tape is truly bad. But, again, cassettes can sound very, very good - don't dismiss the format entirely. It's not digital, no, but it's not 8-track either.

        No but compare to any reel to reel how can 1/16" tracks on 1/4" wide
        tape at 1.75ips ever sound "good". There were some less worse devices
        that worked at double speed, but I still don't think they are/were
        brilliant.

        > -Ian
        >

        > ttp://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Dave
        G4UGM
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 25, 2013
          > Some low grade tape is truly bad. But, again, cassettes can sound very,
          > very good - don't dismiss the format entirely.

          OK, Mr. Albini.

          --
          Will