Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Semi-OT: Preserve old cassette tape?

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 25, 2013
      On Feb 24, 2013, at 7:19 PM, PhillipP wrote:

      > I don't consider myself an expert by any means on this topic, but
      > assuming that the tape is playable, wouldn't it be smarter to make a
      > tape-to-tape copy to allow for more precise digitization of that copy?
      >
      > -Phillip

      In almost all cases, it's best to be able to digitize the original
      tape, not an analog dub. No dub is an exact clone in the analog
      world, so there will be some form of degradation with the dubbed
      copy. High quality copying equipment can minimize the problems, but
      the copy -will- be not as good as the original, other than being
      recorded on new tape stock. Sometimes, that trade-off is the better
      choice, but usually not. If the original is able to be played to make
      an analog copy, then it can be played to make a digitized copy.

      In the digital world, there are processes that can be used to improve
      a not-so-good recording, like noise removal, and even peak distortion.

      73 de Ray
    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 25, 2013
        --- On Mon, 2/25/13, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

        > I have had virtually no success in getting any thing that's
        > even half
        > listen-able too off cassette tapes, even pro Dolby tapes.

        You must be doing something wrong. I mean, sure, I've run across a few bad recordings and damaged tapes, but by and large, cassettes sound quite good. I use them regularly. A good recording on good tape can really sound fantastic. Are you sure your cassette player is aligned properly? Do you live near a massive power transformer or other source of magnetic interference? Indian burial ground?

        > In this modern age of loss-less, noise free
        > digital copying
        > we have forgotten how utterly appalling the quality of the
        > "Compact
        > Cassette" was...

        Some low grade tape is truly bad. But, again, cassettes can sound very, very good - don't dismiss the format entirely. It's not digital, no, but it's not 8-track either.

        -Ian
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 25, 2013
          On 25/02/2013 15:16, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
          > --- On Mon, 2/25/13, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I have had virtually no success in getting any thing that's
          >> even half
          >> listen-able too off cassette tapes, even pro Dolby tapes.
          > You must be doing something wrong. I mean, sure, I've run across a few bad recordings and damaged tapes, but by and large, cassettes sound quite good. I use them regularly. A good recording on good tape can really sound fantastic. Are you sure your cassette player is aligned properly? Do you live near a massive power transformer or other source of magnetic interference? Indian burial ground?
          Nope the nearest thing is the local trams which are about 300yds (two
          blocks) away.

          http://www.altrincham.org.uk/PublicTransport.asp

          I have tried a selection of cassette players, a selection of sound
          cards, and it always sounds naff when I play back the resulting audio,
          be it in the car, on a computer or via my Android phone....
          >> In this modern age of loss-less, noise free
          >> digital copying
          >> we have forgotten how utterly appalling the quality of the
          >> "Compact
          >> Cassette" was...
          > Some low grade tape is truly bad. But, again, cassettes can sound very, very good - don't dismiss the format entirely. It's not digital, no, but it's not 8-track either.

          No but compare to any reel to reel how can 1/16" tracks on 1/4" wide
          tape at 1.75ips ever sound "good". There were some less worse devices
          that worked at double speed, but I still don't think they are/were
          brilliant.

          > -Ian
          >

          > ttp://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Dave
          G4UGM
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 25, 2013
            > Some low grade tape is truly bad. But, again, cassettes can sound very,
            > very good - don't dismiss the format entirely.

            OK, Mr. Albini.

            --
            Will