Re: [midatlanticretro] WiFi on vintage hardware

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
      On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

          That looks good, except for two things:

      1. "We also currently do not support WPA2-Enterprise (radius server
      authentication, EAP-TLS)"

          That, unfortunately is the mode used by our on-campus wireless
      networks.

      2. There's no SSH client or SSL connection capability.

      I see,
      there's certainly no one size fits all in this category - even worse - they're all not created equal.
      There are some other high end versions out there like these.

      Dan

    • J. Alexander Jacocks
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
        On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

        On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

            That looks good, except for two things:

        1. "We also currently do not support WPA2-Enterprise (radius server
        authentication, EAP-TLS)"

            That, unfortunately is the mode used by our on-campus wireless
        networks.

        2. There's no SSH client or SSL connection capability.

        I see,
        there's certainly no one size fits all in this category - even worse - they're all not created equal.
        There are some other high end versions out there like these.

        I think that the Raspberry Pi idea is awfully good:

        The Rpi could either be a getty-based app host, or be a PPP server, if TCP/IP was desired on the serial-connected host, and has wifi/wpa2 support.  It's also awfully cheap, and fairly small, and thus could be hidden inside the case of most machines that it might help.

        Probably the only knock on it is the fact that it's a very modern design, and significantly more powerful than the hosts that it'd be fronting for.  But, that wouldn't stop me.

        - Alex
      • Wesley Furr
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
          I think anything that supports 802.11 wifi is going to be "very modern"...  ;-)

          Wesley

          From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of J. Alexander Jacocks