Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM PS/2 Model 25 - boot from floppy formatted on XP

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 27, 2006
      Joe, Chris,

      This is an interesting question that I see no one has answered. When you
      format a bootable floppy on an XP machine, the floppy boots to DOS. DOS will
      boot on a 640K PC because that's all the RAM it can recognize without loading
      himem.sys or some sort of expanded memory manager. I just tested the DOS
      version and - surprise! - it's Windows Me, version 4.90.3000. This version
      number relates to Windows not DOS and I do not know how this differs from
      Win98 DOS (which is what I use when I need DOS).

      The "most vintage" machine in my office has parity errors these days and
      won't boot so I cannot completely test my contention that the disk will boot
      on a 640K machine.

      It was possible to boot NT from a floppy but it took two floopies to do
      anything useful (3 to start an install). I'm not sure if XP can be booted
      from a floppy as MS does not support it and suggest no one worry about it. A
      portable version of XP/2003 can be created on a CD using Bart/PE which is
      very useful.