Re: [midatlanticretro] WiFi on vintage hardware

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
      On 24/02/2013 22:17, David Gesswein wrote:
      > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 05:01:21PM -0500, Mike Loewen wrote:
      >> I would like to come up with a hardware/software scheme to connect a
      >> vintage computer's serial port to some sort of WiFi module which would
      >> allow me to use SSH or Telnet over SSL to connect to a server.
      >> Suggestions? Do any of you microcontroller wizards have something on
      >> the bench?
      >>
      > Might be doable with a Rasberry PI and USB to WIFI adapter. Run a getty
      > on the serial port, log in and then SSH out. I think the serial port needs
      > an external RS-232 to TTL conversion.
      >
      > I haven't actually used a PI.

      I believe that by default the serial port is set as a login prompt, but
      it has no handshake lines. You need a level converter like this:-

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/380464895881
      http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8301
      http://justanotherlanguage.org/content/jallib/tutorials/tutorial_serial_port_board

      and I guess a USB WiFi adaptor thats supported by the Linux on the PI,
      or a WiFi Access Point that works as client. Plenty of these around I
      have an EDIMAX that my sons have used to connect various bits of kit to
      the house network, such as XBOX or Internet Ready TV. My PI is connected
      via "HomePlugs" and runs XBMC...
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
        On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:
        On 24/02/2013 22:17, David Gesswein wrote:
        > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 05:01:21PM -0500, Mike Loewen wrote:
        >>      I would like to come up with a hardware/software scheme to connect a
        >> vintage computer's serial port to some sort of WiFi module which would
        >> allow me to use SSH or Telnet over SSL to connect to a server.
        >>      Suggestions?  Do any of you microcontroller wizards have something on
        >> the bench?

        If you want to a self-contained solution - versus a homebrew project - look here
        WiFly RN-171 802.11b/g Serial to WiFi Module, $29.99
        The RN-171 is a small form factor, standalone, ultra-low power embedded module with a complete TCP/IP stack in a wireless networking module.

        Dan

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
          On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, Dan Roganti wrote:

          > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

          >> on
          >>

          > If you want to a self-contained solution - versus a homebrew project - look
          > here
          > WiFly RN-171 802.11b/g Serial to WiFi Module, $29.99
          > The RN-171 is a small form factor, standalone, ultra-low power embedded
          > module with a complete TCP/IP stack in a wireless networking module.
          > https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11049

          That looks good, except for two things:

          1. "We also currently do not support WPA2-Enterprise (radius server
          authentication, EAP-TLS)"

          That, unfortunately is the mode used by our on-campus wireless
          networks.

          2. There's no SSH client or SSL connection capability.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
            On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                That looks good, except for two things:

            1. "We also currently do not support WPA2-Enterprise (radius server
            authentication, EAP-TLS)"

                That, unfortunately is the mode used by our on-campus wireless
            networks.

            2. There's no SSH client or SSL connection capability.

            I see,
            there's certainly no one size fits all in this category - even worse - they're all not created equal.
            There are some other high end versions out there like these.

            Dan

          • J. Alexander Jacocks
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
              On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

              On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                  That looks good, except for two things:

              1. "We also currently do not support WPA2-Enterprise (radius server
              authentication, EAP-TLS)"

                  That, unfortunately is the mode used by our on-campus wireless
              networks.

              2. There's no SSH client or SSL connection capability.

              I see,
              there's certainly no one size fits all in this category - even worse - they're all not created equal.
              There are some other high end versions out there like these.

              I think that the Raspberry Pi idea is awfully good:

              The Rpi could either be a getty-based app host, or be a PPP server, if TCP/IP was desired on the serial-connected host, and has wifi/wpa2 support.  It's also awfully cheap, and fairly small, and thus could be hidden inside the case of most machines that it might help.

              Probably the only knock on it is the fact that it's a very modern design, and significantly more powerful than the hosts that it'd be fronting for.  But, that wouldn't stop me.

              - Alex
            • Wesley Furr
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
                I think anything that supports 802.11 wifi is going to be "very modern"...  ;-)

                Wesley

                From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of J. Alexander Jacocks