WiFi on vintage hardware

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24 2:01 PM
      Alex and I talked about this yesterday, and he suggested I throw it out
      to the group.

      I would like to come up with a hardware/software scheme to connect a
      vintage computer's serial port to some sort of WiFi module which would
      allow me to use SSH or Telnet over SSL to connect to a server. I've run
      across several modules which do serial port to WiFi, but none of them have
      the capability to do the SSH or Telnet/SSL part. It would also have to
      support 802.1x (AES, EAP-TTLS, PAP). I would like to use a basic
      terminal emulator (IMP, MEX, ext) on the vintage machine to talk to the
      serial port.

      Another blue-sky idea would be to attach a serial-to-bluetooth module
      to the vintage machine, pair with my Android gadget, and use some sort
      of SSL tunnel on the Android to make the connection to the remote server.
      Again, there are some things on Google Play that are close, but no cigar.

      Suggestions? Do any of you microcontroller wizards have something on
      the bench?

      My boss likes to tease me about my liking for old equipment. It would
      be fun to show up at a meeting with an Osborne Vixen, connect to my server
      and do email and lynx.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 24 2:17 PM
        On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 05:01:21PM -0500, Mike Loewen wrote:

        > I would like to come up with a hardware/software scheme to connect a
        > vintage computer's serial port to some sort of WiFi module which would
        > allow me to use SSH or Telnet over SSL to connect to a server.

        > Suggestions? Do any of you microcontroller wizards have something on
        > the bench?

        Might be doable with a Rasberry PI and USB to WIFI adapter. Run a getty
        on the serial port, log in and then SSH out. I think the serial port needs
        an external RS-232 to TTL conversion.

        I haven't actually used a PI.
      • ekoblentz
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 24 2:18 PM
          >> It would be fun to show up at a meeting with an Osborne Vixen, connect to my server and do email and lynx.

          A great exhibit for VCF East 9.1!
        • Kyle Owen
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24 2:26 PM
            I believe this is exactly what you need. A friend of mine is developing an RS-232 to WiFi adapter for control systems in industry, and this is precisely what he's using.

            I've had the same idea for a while now, but haven't had enough time to get something going.

            Kyle

            On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM, <evan@...> wrote:

            >> It would be fun to show up at a meeting with an Osborne Vixen, connect to my server and do email and lynx.

            A great exhibit for VCF East 9.1!

          • Wesley Furr
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 24 2:29 PM
              How about an ethernet serial server type device? Thinking that could then
              be connected to a wifi bridge to convert it to wireless. Of course the
              question I can't answer is if you can use the ethernet serial device to
              initiate an outgoing connection...they may only be designed to accept
              incoming connections.

              My first thought was bluetooth as it is (as I understand it) inherently
              serial. But...you've got to somehow get that converted to wifi... I don't
              know all that much about bluetooth...but how about something like this
              (assuming you could still find one somewhere as it has been discontinued) -
              http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dbt-900ap-bluetooth-to-lan-access
              -point ...then of course tie it to a wifi bridge...

              Or here's another thought...pick up a Raspberry Pi, along with a USB to
              serial adapter and a wifi dongle...set up the vintage machine to be a
              terminal to the Pi, then connect out from there...of course that sounds all
              easy, but probably would take a bit of work...but maybe not.

              Wesley

[...]

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 24 2:36 PM
                SPI to WIFI is also available.

                http://www.cutedigi.com/wireless/wifi/wifi-module-with-spi-interface-to-8-bit-mcu-zg2100mc-wishield.html

                There are 6502 to SPI schematics floating around the Internet.

                Regards,
                Mike W

                > Alex and I talked about this yesterday, and he suggested I throw it out
                > to the group.
                >
                > I would like to come up with a hardware/software scheme to connect a
                > vintage computer's serial port to some sort of WiFi module which would
                > allow me to use SSH or Telnet over SSL to connect to a server. I've run
                > across several modules which do serial port to WiFi, but none of them have
                > the capability to do the SSH or Telnet/SSL part. It would also have to
                > support 802.1x (AES, EAP-TTLS, PAP). I would like to use a basic
                > terminal emulator (IMP, MEX, ext) on the vintage machine to talk to the
                > serial port.
                >
                > Another blue-sky idea would be to attach a serial-to-bluetooth module
                > to the vintage machine, pair with my Android gadget, and use some sort
                > of SSL tunnel on the Android to make the connection to the remote server.
                > Again, there are some things on Google Play that are close, but no cigar.
                >
                > Suggestions? Do any of you microcontroller wizards have something on
                > the bench?
                >
                > My boss likes to tease me about my liking for old equipment. It would
                > be fun to show up at a meeting with an Osborne Vixen, connect to my server
                > and do email and lynx.
                >

                > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 24 2:49 PM
                  On 24/02/2013 22:17, David Gesswein wrote:
                  > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 05:01:21PM -0500, Mike Loewen wrote:
                  >> I would like to come up with a hardware/software scheme to connect a
                  >> vintage computer's serial port to some sort of WiFi module which would
                  >> allow me to use SSH or Telnet over SSL to connect to a server.
                  >> Suggestions? Do any of you microcontroller wizards have something on
                  >> the bench?
                  >>
                  > Might be doable with a Rasberry PI and USB to WIFI adapter. Run a getty
                  > on the serial port, log in and then SSH out. I think the serial port needs
                  > an external RS-232 to TTL conversion.
                  >
                  > I haven't actually used a PI.

                  I believe that by default the serial port is set as a login prompt, but
                  it has no handshake lines. You need a level converter like this:-

                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/380464895881
                  http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8301
                  http://justanotherlanguage.org/content/jallib/tutorials/tutorial_serial_port_board

                  and I guess a USB WiFi adaptor thats supported by the Linux on the PI,
                  or a WiFi Access Point that works as client. Plenty of these around I
                  have an EDIMAX that my sons have used to connect various bits of kit to
                  the house network, such as XBOX or Internet Ready TV. My PI is connected
                  via "HomePlugs" and runs XBMC...
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 24 4:12 PM
                    On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:
                    On 24/02/2013 22:17, David Gesswein wrote:
                    > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 05:01:21PM -0500, Mike Loewen wrote:
                    >>      I would like to come up with a hardware/software scheme to connect a
                    >> vintage computer's serial port to some sort of WiFi module which would
                    >> allow me to use SSH or Telnet over SSL to connect to a server.
                    >>      Suggestions?  Do any of you microcontroller wizards have something on
                    >> the bench?

                    If you want to a self-contained solution - versus a homebrew project - look here
                    WiFly RN-171 802.11b/g Serial to WiFi Module, $29.99
                    The RN-171 is a small form factor, standalone, ultra-low power embedded module with a complete TCP/IP stack in a wireless networking module.

                    Dan

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 24 6:02 PM
                      On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, Dan Roganti wrote:

                      > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

                      >> on
                      >>

                      > If you want to a self-contained solution - versus a homebrew project - look
                      > here
                      > WiFly RN-171 802.11b/g Serial to WiFi Module, $29.99
                      > The RN-171 is a small form factor, standalone, ultra-low power embedded
                      > module with a complete TCP/IP stack in a wireless networking module.
                      > https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11049

                      That looks good, except for two things:

                      1. "We also currently do not support WPA2-Enterprise (radius server
                      authentication, EAP-TLS)"

                      That, unfortunately is the mode used by our on-campus wireless
                      networks.

                      2. There's no SSH client or SSL connection capability.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 24 6:39 PM
                        On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                            That looks good, except for two things:

                        1. "We also currently do not support WPA2-Enterprise (radius server
                        authentication, EAP-TLS)"

                            That, unfortunately is the mode used by our on-campus wireless
                        networks.

                        2. There's no SSH client or SSL connection capability.

                        I see,
                        there's certainly no one size fits all in this category - even worse - they're all not created equal.
                        There are some other high end versions out there like these.

                        Dan

                      • J. Alexander Jacocks
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 24 7:34 PM
                          On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                          On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                              That looks good, except for two things:

                          1. "We also currently do not support WPA2-Enterprise (radius server
                          authentication, EAP-TLS)"

                              That, unfortunately is the mode used by our on-campus wireless
                          networks.

                          2. There's no SSH client or SSL connection capability.

                          I see,
                          there's certainly no one size fits all in this category - even worse - they're all not created equal.
                          There are some other high end versions out there like these.

                          I think that the Raspberry Pi idea is awfully good:

                          The Rpi could either be a getty-based app host, or be a PPP server, if TCP/IP was desired on the serial-connected host, and has wifi/wpa2 support.  It's also awfully cheap, and fairly small, and thus could be hidden inside the case of most machines that it might help.

                          Probably the only knock on it is the fact that it's a very modern design, and significantly more powerful than the hosts that it'd be fronting for.  But, that wouldn't stop me.

                          - Alex
                        • Wesley Furr
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 24 7:59 PM
                            I think anything that supports 802.11 wifi is going to be "very modern"...  ;-)

                            Wesley

                            From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of J. Alexander Jacocks