Anyone heard of Unicom or Quay?

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2013
      More nuggets from skimming the ACS newsletters:

      - Unicom Inc. in 1970 had a computer called the "CP-8A" for $1,800. Not a hobby kit, but Gray saw fit to mention it with the headline, "Cheapest Commercial Computer?"

      - In part four of a kit round-up (Aug. 76), Gray cites Quay Corp.'S 80A1 which uses a Z-80 and 2.5MHz clock "so you can run Altair 8800 software". The reason I'm mentioning it now on the MARCH list: Quay was in Freehold, NJ.

      There are tons of other fascinating things in these newsletters. They are a goldmine. I regret now reading them years ago. Better late than never...
    • ekoblentz
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2013
        >> Quay Corp.'S 80A1

        Quay also had a system called the Q-10.

        I didn't find anything about Unicom, but there are some articles about Quay out there. Go to Google and enter this exact query:

        "quay corp." freehold
      • ekoblentz
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2013
          >> but there are some articles about Quay out there.
          Last email for the night...

          One of the search results is to a MARCH message. :)

          When we get to Trenton I will ask Al, Sol, Roger, etc. if they're familiar with Quay and who was behind it.

          Now: bedtime for Bonzo.