Early hobby computer shows

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
      Here's something that I learned while skimming the ACS newsletters tonight.

      As far as I know, Trenton in '76 was the "first" computer show meant for hobbyists. PC'76 in Atlantic City followed it a few months later.

      But what about amateur sessions at business computer conferences?

      We know that RESISTORS demo'd at the Spring Joint Computer Conference, in '68, in Atlantic City. Unfortunately I didn't find any references to Claude or his club in the ACS newsletters.

      According to one of Gray's article, there was also a student event at the National Computer Conference in '76. Gray wrote that he gave a talk there (June 8) on "Building Your Own Computer". He goes on to give a detailed report of that event, the "Student Computer Fair", at NCC. He said the winner was a 9th-grader from Pennsylvania who won an Altair 8800 kit. He said the kid's father was a chemist at Univac.

      I'd like to track down the kid. No names are given.

      Wondering aloud: does anyone know of other business computer events in the 60s/70s where amateurs, hobbyists, or students were given access to strut their stuff?
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
        > Wondering aloud: does anyone know of other business computer events in the
        > 60s/70s where amateurs, hobbyists, or students were given access to strut
        > their stuff?

        DECUS, probably. I am not sure when NADGUG formed, but probably there
        as well. These were fairly informal conferences, so there probably was
        some "amateur activity".

        --
        Will
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24, 2013
          Evan ..dr dobbs has refs to early hobbyist shows. Also talk we did about midatlantic history has some first show refs.
          --
          Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2013
            >> dr dobbs has refs to early hobbyist shows

            Thanks.

            >> Also talk we did about midatlantic history

            The one from HOPE?

            >> has some first show refs.

            I napped during your parts. ;)