Re: [midatlanticretro] Roll Call for Trenton

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
      >> planning to go with what will fit in my Golf. I might be able to remove the Teletype from the stand to be able to bring it.

      I once fit an ASR33 and the stand in my Miata. Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seats, with its legs where human legs would go, and the teletype in the trunk. But, other than me in the driver seat, nothing else fit.
    • ekoblentz
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
        >> Ted Nelson's 1974 Computer Lib and Dream Machines has a lot of pre-micro references to PDP 8/11

        Good point, I didn't think of that.

        In addition to whatever systems I need to bring from the museum, I will also bring posters about RESISTORS and ACS.

        Gesswein: Sounds like it's all coming together! An '8 will be fine.
      • ekoblentz
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
          >> Lucky techs took home old pdp's after they were de-commissioned by the original company/institutions and given a new life for home use.

          Yup! I needed a nudge to think outside of the box. Many of the ACS articles were about that. Thanks Bill.
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
            Sometimes I forget to change Bill's 'VCF' subject line back to 'Trenton'.

            PS, the first-ever real thread on our list, in early 2005, was "Who's bringing what to Trenton"...

            >> No lcd screens or modern equipment should be visible in exhibit.

            That also means for the Apple we'll load software by tape, not by iPod, unlike in the museum. :)
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
              >> Can I bring the Intel SDK-85? That's from 1977 and was popular as a hobbyist controller board and educational tool. It'll talk to a teletype over current loop too.

              I say yes. Bill, as you often remind me, the homebrew era did not come to an abrupt end when the '77 micros debuted. :)