Re: [midatlanticretro] Roll Call for Trenton

  • Dave Wade
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
      On 23/02/2013 19:00, Dave McGuire wrote:
      >>> I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
      >> Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
      >> players, is it to do with Government cut backs?
      > They can only concentrate on one at a time. ;)
      Thanks I have always wondered and that explains a much, although I think
      you are being slightly optimistic. IME actually I think that only about
      33% of them are actually concentrating at any one time...
      > -Dave

      (I think that's probably best declared closed)

      --
      Dave Wade G4UGM
      Illegitimi Non Carborundum
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
        >> planning to go with what will fit in my Golf. I might be able to remove the Teletype from the stand to be able to bring it.

        I once fit an ASR33 and the stand in my Miata. Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seats, with its legs where human legs would go, and the teletype in the trunk. But, other than me in the driver seat, nothing else fit.
      • ekoblentz
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
          >> Ted Nelson's 1974 Computer Lib and Dream Machines has a lot of pre-micro references to PDP 8/11

          Good point, I didn't think of that.

          In addition to whatever systems I need to bring from the museum, I will also bring posters about RESISTORS and ACS.

          Gesswein: Sounds like it's all coming together! An '8 will be fine.
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
            >> Lucky techs took home old pdp's after they were de-commissioned by the original company/institutions and given a new life for home use.

            Yup! I needed a nudge to think outside of the box. Many of the ACS articles were about that. Thanks Bill.
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
              Sometimes I forget to change Bill's 'VCF' subject line back to 'Trenton'.

              PS, the first-ever real thread on our list, in early 2005, was "Who's bringing what to Trenton"...

              >> No lcd screens or modern equipment should be visible in exhibit.

              That also means for the Apple we'll load software by tape, not by iPod, unlike in the museum. :)
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
                >> Can I bring the Intel SDK-85? That's from 1977 and was popular as a hobbyist controller board and educational tool. It'll talk to a teletype over current loop too.

                I say yes. Bill, as you often remind me, the homebrew era did not come to an abrupt end when the '77 micros debuted. :)