Re: [midatlanticretro] Roll Call for Trenton

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
      On 02/23/2013 11:13 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
      >>> Dude. We run a vintage computer club. :)
      >> I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
      > Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
      > players, is it to do with Government cut backs?

      They can only concentrate on one at a time. ;)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Dave Wade
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
        On 23/02/2013 19:00, Dave McGuire wrote:
        >>> I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
        >> Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
        >> players, is it to do with Government cut backs?
        > They can only concentrate on one at a time. ;)
        Thanks I have always wondered and that explains a much, although I think
        you are being slightly optimistic. IME actually I think that only about
        33% of them are actually concentrating at any one time...
        > -Dave

        (I think that's probably best declared closed)

        --
        Dave Wade G4UGM
        Illegitimi Non Carborundum
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
          >> planning to go with what will fit in my Golf. I might be able to remove the Teletype from the stand to be able to bring it.

          I once fit an ASR33 and the stand in my Miata. Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seats, with its legs where human legs would go, and the teletype in the trunk. But, other than me in the driver seat, nothing else fit.
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
            >> Ted Nelson's 1974 Computer Lib and Dream Machines has a lot of pre-micro references to PDP 8/11

            Good point, I didn't think of that.

            In addition to whatever systems I need to bring from the museum, I will also bring posters about RESISTORS and ACS.

            Gesswein: Sounds like it's all coming together! An '8 will be fine.
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
              >> Lucky techs took home old pdp's after they were de-commissioned by the original company/institutions and given a new life for home use.

              Yup! I needed a nudge to think outside of the box. Many of the ACS articles were about that. Thanks Bill.
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
                Sometimes I forget to change Bill's 'VCF' subject line back to 'Trenton'.

                PS, the first-ever real thread on our list, in early 2005, was "Who's bringing what to Trenton"...

                >> No lcd screens or modern equipment should be visible in exhibit.

                That also means for the Apple we'll load software by tape, not by iPod, unlike in the museum. :)
              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
                  >> Can I bring the Intel SDK-85? That's from 1977 and was popular as a hobbyist controller board and educational tool. It'll talk to a teletype over current loop too.

                  I say yes. Bill, as you often remind me, the homebrew era did not come to an abrupt end when the '77 micros debuted. :)