RE: [midatlanticretro] Roll Call for VCF E

  • Wesley Furr
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
      I find it interesting the similarity of things today with people taking the
      Raspberry Pi (and/or Arduino) and controlling things, creating projects,
      etc. Obviously the Pi is much more advanced...but it is striking the
      similarity to the Apple I. Bare board, bring your own power supply,
      keyboard, mouse, case, storage, etc...

      Wesley

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
        On 02/23/2013 12:32 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
        > I find it interesting the similarity of things today with people taking the
        > Raspberry Pi (and/or Arduino) and controlling things, creating projects,
        > etc. Obviously the Pi is much more advanced...but it is striking the
        > similarity to the Apple I. Bare board, bring your own power supply,
        > keyboard, mouse, case, storage, etc...

        The Pi is much more advanced, but the typical users aren't. In the
        era of the Apple I, there wasn't as much "separation" between the worlds
        of computers and electronics. Nowadays we have "computer people", even
        extremely competent and in-depth ones, who don't know which end of a
        soldering iron gets hot. This wasn't really the case back then, for the
        most part.

        Note well that I'm not decrying or complaining about this; both
        worlds have grown so extraordinarily huge that it's far more difficult
        now for someone growing up in this era to be very in-depth at
        both...there's just so much more to know, so much to learn.

        But you're right, there is a similar feel to this Pi phenomenon.
        It's pretty neat to watch this unfold.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
          On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 05:39:30PM -0500, B Degnan wrote:

          > Anyway, here is what I have so far for Trenton, the theme is homebrew era
          > microcomputers. If you have anything from 1974-76 especially something that
          > works please try to exhibit.
          >

          > Someone with a exhibit-able working PDP 8i/e/f or a PDP 11 05/10/35/40/20

          8/I is before your timeframe and doesn't fit well on table. I have an
          8/M (OEM version of 8/F) thats easy to move and could bring. Its the one
          I broght to the workday for testing your 8/E boards. The other
          item I have that is close is a Challenger II with 8" floppy. It looks
          like Challengers are >= 1978 so later than your desired period.

          > Someone with a Teletype-driven system

          Since this is smaller event I was planning to go with what will fit in my
          Golf. I might be able to remove the Teletype from the stand to be able to
          bring it. That does cause problems for chad collection.

          Would need to see what peripherals/demos would work for this audience and
          space available. If anybody has ideas let me know.
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
            >> I have an 8/M (OEM version of 8/F) thats easy to move and could bring.

            What's the connection between that and our theme?
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013

              > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 05:39:30PM -0500, B Degnan wrote:
              > >
              > > Anyway, here is what I have so far for Trenton, the theme is homebrew
              era
              > > microcomputers. If you have anything from 1974-76 especially something
              that
              > > works please try to exhibit.
              > >

              > > Someone with a exhibit-able working PDP 8i/e/f or a PDP 11
              05/10/35/40/20

              > 8/I is before your timeframe and doesn't fit well on table. I have an
              > 8/M (OEM version of 8/F) thats easy to move and could bring. Its the one
              > I broght to the workday for testing your 8/E boards. The other
              > item I have that is close is a Challenger II with 8" floppy. It looks
              > like Challengers are >= 1978 so later than your desired period.
              >
              > > Someone with a Teletype-driven system
              > >
              > Since this is smaller event I was planning to go with what will fit in
              my
              > Golf. I might be able to remove the Teletype from the stand to be able to

              > bring it. That does cause problems for chad collection.
              >
              > Would need to see what peripherals/demos would work for this audience
              and
              > space available. If anybody has ideas let me know.

              David,
              I don't want to be too strict about what everyone brings, this is just for
              fun.
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
                  On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:06:31PM +0000, evan@... wrote:
                  > >> I have an 8/M (OEM version of 8/F) thats easy to move and could bring.
                  >
                  > What's the connection between that and our theme?

                  I was just going by Bill's post where he listed various 8's as possible
                  exhibit items. Before that posting (and I guess now) I didn't think I would
                  be exhibiting since I don't have anything homebrew 1974-76.
                • ekoblentz
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
                    >> Before that posting (and I guess now) I didn't think I would be exhibiting since I don't have anything homebrew 1974-76.

                    Well ... I certainly don't want to turn you away.

                    Two ideas if you bring an '8:
                    - Explain to visitors how big computers were often used to develop for little ones
                    - Bring your Straight 8, and explain the connection to RESISTORS, Ted Nelson, etc.
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
                      On 02/23/2013 07:01 PM, evan@... wrote:
                      >>> Before that posting (and I guess now) I didn't think I would be exhibiting since I don't have anything homebrew 1974-76.
                      >
                      > Well ... I certainly don't want to turn you away.
                      >
                      > Two ideas if you bring an '8:
                      > - Explain to visitors how big computers were often used to develop for little ones
                      > - Bring your Straight 8, and explain the connection to RESISTORS, Ted Nelson, etc.

                      That's an excellent idea.

                      I briefly thought about bringing my PDP-8/m, because (and I'd put up a
                      sign of some sort explaining it) I *bought* it at TCF, in something like
                      1986. I think that'd be a neat tie-in, but mainly neat for me, not so
                      much for other people.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
                        Ted Nelson's 1974 Computer Lib and Dream Machines has a lot of pre-micro
                        references to PDP 8/11, here is an example.

                        http://www.vintagecomputer.net/CISC367/Computer%20Lib%201974%20Selected%20Ar
                        ticles.pdf

                        bd

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
                          > I briefly thought about bringing my PDP-8/m, because (and I'd put up a
                          > sign of some sort explaining it) I *bought* it at TCF, in something like
                          > 1986. I think that'd be a neat tie-in, but mainly neat for me, not so
                          > much for other people.
                          >
                          > -Dave

                          Please feel free to bring any pdp 8 that would have been fully depreciated
                          by 1979. Lucky techs took home old pdp's after they were de-commissioned
                          by the original company/institutions and given a new life for home use.
                        • William Donzelli
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013
                            > Two ideas if you bring an '8:
                            > - Explain to visitors how big computers were often used to develop for
                            > little ones
                            > - Bring your Straight 8, and explain the connection to RESISTORS, Ted
                            > Nelson, etc.

                            The PDP-8 line were certainly used in industry and academia
                            "homebrewing", as a cheap processor for all sorts of custom
                            installations (experiments, machine control, test rigs, etc.).

                            --
                            Will
                          • corey986
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 24, 2013
                              Well I am going to be there.

                              I don't know what I should bring. I figured I'd help work the MARCH exhibits. I was originally thinking I'd bring my restored early 12k MITS Altair (no 3rd party cards) with the see-through top or an Apple II (not plus), but I think it's better if I concentrate on giving Evan some "break" time. The guys bladder can only take so much. LOL

                              The other idea that came to me is to bring a bunch of Briel stuff to sit next to MARCH's real ones. Who knows maybe we can get some new people into vintage computing by wetting their appetite with a Briel replica-1 or Micro Altair. I know more than a few people who started that way and had to get a real Altair or IMSAI.

                              Cheers,
                              Corey

                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                              > Sitting here are the airport in Chicago..weather related layover, ug.
                              >

                              > Anyway, here is what I have so far for Trenton, the theme is homebrew era
                              > microcomputers. If you have anything from 1974-76 especially something that
                              > works please try to exhibit.
                              >

                              > Me (Bill Deg) Altair8800 not sure which model maybe a turnkey this time) and
                              > Altair 680.
                              >
                              > Herb Johnson XITAN Z80 system
                              >
                              > Bill Dromgoole - OSI 300
                              >
                              > Bob Applegate homebrew system(?)
                              >
                              > Jon Chapman (? - do you want to bring your Altair 8800 instead and I can
                              > bring something else?)
                              >
                              > Someone with a exhibit-able working PDP 8i/e/f or a PDP 11 05/10/35/40/20
                              >
                              > Someone with a Teletype-driven system
                              >

                              > Evan/MARCH - Apple I, Mark 8, KIM? and misc other homebrew stuff as needed
                              > to fill the classroom, if we don't have enough exhibits.
                              >

                              > In addition to our club, the plan is to spread the word to the history,
                              > comp-sci and comp engineering departments to encourage a few students to
                              > come visit, even if they were not interested in the TCF otherwise. Maybe we
                              > can get RCF to send out a bulletin about our exhibit too.
                              >

                              > Bill

                            • ekoblentz
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 24, 2013
                                >> I think it's better if I concentrate on giving Evan some "break" time.

                                I'd appreciate that. I figure you would be our Apple 1 expert.
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 24, 2013
                                  Corey,
                                  This is a homebrew-themed exhibit, pls no systems newer than 1976. No lcd screens or modern equipment should be visible in exhibit. Some latitude on definition of homebrew but were cutting it off before things like apple II, PET. Pls read earlier posts on this topic to see who is already bringing what.

                                  Exception: terminals made on or before 1980 ok

                                  Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                                • Systems Glitch
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
                                    > Jon Chapman (? - do you want to bring your Altair 8800 instead and I can
                                    > bring something else?)

                                    I HAVE AN ALTAIR?! How'd I miss that?!

                                    I was thinking about bringing my current long-term 8 bit modern-homebrew-with-vintage-processors project, or my Intel SDK-85. I do have the IMSAI up and going as well. Or I could bring the little 8085 SBC system I've designed.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Jonathan
                                  • Systems Glitch
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
                                      > Since this is smaller event I was planning to go with what will fit in my
                                      > Golf. I might be able to remove the Teletype from the stand to be able to
                                      > bring it. That does cause problems for chad collection.

                                      Does the back seat still come out? We were able to get a PDP-11/05 comfortably in the back of the Rabbit with the seat just folded up.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Jonathan
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
                                        > > Jon Chapman (? - do you want to bring your Altair 8800 instead and I
                                        can
                                        > > bring something else?)
                                        >
                                        > I HAVE AN ALTAIR?! How'd I miss that?!
                                        >
                                        > I was thinking about bringing my current long-term 8 bit
                                        modern-homebrew-with-vintage-processors project, or my Intel SDK-85. I do
                                        have the IMSAI up and going as well. Or I could bring the little 8085 SBC
                                        system I've designed.

                                        Please bring something that would have primarily made up of stuff from
                                        1974-1976 if you can. that's why I was suggesting the Altair 8800. The
                                        target theme for TCF is "homebrew" era.
                                        bd
                                      • Systems Glitch
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
                                          > Please bring something that would have primarily made up of stuff from
                                          > 1974-1976 if you can.

                                          Can I bring the Intel SDK-85? That's from 1977 and was popular as a hobbyist controller board and educational tool. It'll talk to a teletype over current loop too.

                                          > that's why I was suggesting the Altair 8800

                                          It would have to be someone else's Altair as I don't own one. If you want to bring yours I can bring a bunch of the homebrew boards I've got. I can write a program to scroll a message across the little LED display on one of my Solid State Music IO-2 boards or control something else.

                                          Thanks,
                                          Jonathan
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013

                                            > > Please bring something that would have primarily made up of stuff from

                                            > > 1974-1976 if you can.
                                            >
                                            > Can I bring the Intel SDK-85? That's from 1977 and was popular as a
                                            hobbyist controller board and educational tool. It'll talk to a teletype
                                            over current loop too.

                                            That's perfect, yes.

                                            > > that's why I was suggesting the Altair 8800
                                            >
                                            > It would have to be someone else's Altair as I don't own one. If you want
                                            to bring yours I can bring a bunch of the homebrew boards I've got. I can
                                            write a program to scroll a message across the little LED display on one of
                                            my Solid State Music IO-2 boards or control something else.

                                            That's right, Ian's Altair 8800. Nevermind.

                                            Ian - are you coming?

                                            Bill
                                          • s100doctor
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 1 10:56 AM
                                              I have some comments about "homebrew" and what might be shown about that era in microcomputing.

                                              I"m someone who was THERE in the so-called "homebrew computer" era in discussion. I'm not particularly comfortable with the phrase "homebrew computers", as it suggests something less than professional, ad-hoc, non-commercial - second class. Computers often shown from that era typically look like a rat's nest of boards and wires; or are contrasted with production designs in smooth custom fiberglass cases that play video games.

                                              But "honmebrew" is a kind of reference to the now-iconic "Homebrew Computer Club" in California, where several founders of vintage computer companies, or principals in those companies, met and started.

                                              The phrase also refers to what Bill Degnan is talking about. People - we - in the era, were obliged to MAKE computers, and wire them up to things not meant for "computer control". That's because computers of the mid-1970's were not produced as ready-for-use, or for use by themselves, for applications alone - that's a modern view.

                                              The technology for a use, the need for an application, DID NOT EXIST YET, or was too new. The price of much of existing technology was ENORMOUS in modern dollars - costs greater than a running used car. Much of the affordable computing technology, was second-hand, in the used MINIcomputer market, and still not that cheap. and microcomputing technology was changing rapidly - standards we consider obvious today, were in many cases established in that era; thus surviving technology from the era is deemed "non standard" and therefore second-class.

                                              Regarding VCF, which is also a ham radio activity - radio amateurs also have a proud legacy of "homebrew", as in construction, of not only radio-related items, but of early microcomputers. 73 and QST contained many early digital and computer construction articles. 73 publisher Wayne Green, cofounded BYTE and founded Kilobaud, essential microcomputer magazines. Ham established digital networks before the wired Internet.

                                              I have a lot to say about the mid-1970's era of vintage computing, because in a way I'm fighting the common (and well paid-for) view that IBM and Apple and Microsoft "created" personal computing, and what came before was junky stuff which didn't matter - the phrase "homebrew" does not help. But it's otherwise forgotten, how hard it was to work with vintage computing, before you had computers to help you! Or to adapt hardware and software, before there were "standards" which later made transfer of prior work much easier. And before computing power was sufficient; before whole classes of software were established as familiar "apps"; before computer networks; before mass storage; on and on.

                                              Today, personal computing is so standardized, common, and cheap, that these ideas sound like the Wild West to 21st century people today. I often consider early vintage computing as "pioneer computing" because of that.

                                              So I agree with Bill Degnan, that a serious exhibit of mid-1970's computers should not be just a box or a board. It should show how it was tied to some thing, to do some thing. But the facts are, that vintage computers are rarely sold or traded, or shown that way. Even I have removed the "homebrew" wires and parts, because frankly nobody cares to see that stuff, it means nothing for people only interested in computer brands, models and dates.

                                              I was asked to bring the TDL Xitan, and I can do that. But it won't be tied to a particular use or original configuration. it wasn't when I got it. I appreciate Bill's suggest to at least have a TOKEN application of a vintage microcomputer - blink some lights at least. I'll see if I have something still intact of that sort, but it's rare to get such assemblies intact. Harder still to KEEP them that way, and to have something that looks "presentable", next to the Apple II's and Atari, and other professionally-crafted packaged computers that look "personal" by today's standards.

                                              This is hardly my last word on the era or my best thoughts, it's simply a response to a discussion. I'd welcome comments and considerations. Maybe at another time- there's only two weeks before TCF, people interested in showing items should focus on that.

                                              And of course, I'm not responsible for MARCH's exhibit or their interpretations of the era. These are my words from me, I don't work for MARCH or vice versa.

                                              Herb Johnson
                                              retrotechnology.com
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 1 2:01 PM
                                                > But "honmebrew" is a kind of reference to the now-iconic "Homebrew
                                                Computer Club" in California, where several founders of vintage computer
                                                companies, or principals in those companies, met and started.

                                                > The phrase also refers to what Bill Degnan is talking about. People - we
                                                - in the era, were obliged to MAKE computers, and wire them up to things
                                                not meant for "computer control". That's because computers of the
                                                mid-1970's were not produced as ready-for-use, or for use by themselves,
                                                for applications alone - that's a modern view.

                                                > The technology for a use, the need for an application, DID NOT EXIST YET,
                                                or was too new. The price of much of existing technology was ENORMOUS in
                                                modern dollars - costs greater than a running used car. Much of the
                                                affordable computing technology, was second-hand, in the used MINIcomputer
                                                market, and still not that cheap. and microcomputing technology was
                                                changing rapidly - standards we consider obvious today, were in many cases
                                                established in that era; thus surviving technology from the era is deemed
                                                "non standard" and therefore second-class.

                                                It might not matter to everyone the same way, but TCF is the perfect place
                                                to help educate.

                                                It says something if you can accurately answer the question "...what would
                                                all this have cost in year x ...?"

                                                bd
                                              • s100doctor
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 1 8:50 PM
                                                  Bill Degnan wrote:

                                                  > > Two ideas if you bring an '8:
                                                  > > - Explain to visitors how big computers were often used to develop for
                                                  > > little ones
                                                  > > - Bring your Straight 8, and explain the connection to RESISTORS, Ted
                                                  > > Nelson, etc.

                                                  Just an annoying note: the actual RESISTORs straight-8 was already exhibited at TCF.

                                                  Will Donzelli wrote:

                                                  > The PDP-8 line were certainly used in industry and academia
                                                  > "homebrewing", as a cheap processor for all sorts of custom
                                                  > installations (experiments, machine control, test rigs, etc.).

                                                  As I posted, what's being called "homebrewing", was normal practice in the era. Most everyone was adapting whatever they could get, old or new, to do whatever they were trying to do.

                                                  About PDP-8's. It's fair to say they were the period alternative to having a microcomputer, until microcomputers became available. It's useful to see a PDP-8 or some other minicomputer to compare and contrast. Some kind of DEC computing widget, should be at every VCF.

                                                  Um, there's actually a lot I could bring from around 1975. It's hard to decide among single-boards like KIM, or systems like the Northstar Horizon. I've committed to bring the Xitan TDL system, it's a "local" product, but it won't be running. Its Z80 board was pretty early.

                                                  I've got a couple of thoughts about a running system. The Northstar Horizon is pretty "clean" but age-appropriate - you guys won't call it "homebrew". But it runs, CP/M at that. So does (or did) my Heath H-8. I suppose I could add an ADM-3A to keep it all period. But it's not like I can run Spacewar, or even Adventure, just not my thing to run games. I could at least show a papertape system with it (the H-10 reader/punch), again not running. I did not expect this event.

                                                  One of the more unusual computers in retrospect, is "the digital group", now kind of scarce. the model I happen to have certainly LOOKS "homebrew" as it's hot-wired up in various ways. Again, not running. It's in-theme by date and appearance. But as I've posted I have mixed feelings about showing stuff that looks wired up (in other words, NORMAL for 1977) just to be ridiculed as hopelessly primitive.

                                                  I won't bring it all, I'm an old man not a pack mule. And I dont' want to crowd other MARCHians out. If people have some particular preferences, I'll follow the thread every few days, see what is said. I have some ideas and themes I'll consider in the meantime, see what I can wake up.

                                                  Herb
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 2 5:37 AM
                                                    Herb,

                                                    > Um, there's actually a lot I could bring from around 1975. It's hard to
                                                    decide among single-boards like KIM, or systems like the Northstar Horizon.
                                                    I've committed to bring the Xitan TDL system, it's a "local" product, but
                                                    it won't be running. Its Z80 board was pretty early.

                                                    I had written earlier that it'd be better for this particular exhibit that
                                                    we try to bring one complete and functional "system" rather than a
                                                    hoge-podge of stuff. Don't feel obligated to bring the XITAN, if it does
                                                    not work.

                                                    > I've got a couple of thoughts about a running system. The Northstar
                                                    Horizon is pretty "clean" but age-appropriate - you guys won't call it
                                                    "homebrew". But it runs, CP/M at that. So does (or did) my Heath H-8. I
                                                    suppose I could add an ADM-3A to keep it all period. But it's not like I
                                                    can run Spacewar, or even Adventure, just not my thing to run games. I
                                                    could at least show a papertape system with it (the H-10 reader/punch),
                                                    again not running. I did not expect this event.

                                                    > One of the more unusual computers in retrospect, is "the digital group",
                                                    now kind of scarce. the model I happen to have certainly LOOKS "homebrew"
                                                    as it's hot-wired up in various ways. Again, not running. It's in-theme by
                                                    date and appearance. But as I've posted I have mixed feelings about showing
                                                    stuff that looks wired up (in other words, NORMAL for 1977) just to be
                                                    ridiculed as hopelessly primitive.

                                                    If you want to keep it simple, an SBC that turns on a light when you change
                                                    the value of a memory location would be just fine and would demonstrate the
                                                    homebrew principles we discussed. But a Horizon that works is fine too. I
                                                    assume Evan will be bringing the Apple I, which is effectively an Apple II
                                                    without a case, not really homebrew in the traditional sense except that
                                                    you could buy the kit version. But it's a crowd pleaser.

                                                    Please don't stress this. We have a small classroom, not much space.
                                                    Choose a nice compact, labeled system. I will be bringing (probably) my
                                                    Altair 680 with hacked SWTPc RAM cards. Not sure what kind of terminal.

                                                    We'll do another roll call of items being exhibited in about a week.