Apple IIe - End of an Era?

  • macmothership
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27 6:07 AM
      This story was submitted to Vintage Apple News at The Mothership website by Richard
      Hyman. Please email with suggestions or solutions!

      Apple IIe - End of an Era?
      Huntington Beach, California: Vance Carruth a third grade teacher at Agnes Smith
      Elementary School in Huntington Beach, California has been supporting over twenty Apple
      IIe systems for the past fifteen (15) years. Each desktop system is networked to a main file
      server that contains dozens of games and activities. Even though the technology is almost
      thirty (30) years old, Vance's third graders fight over the chance to get use of one of these
      puppies. This is because classroom sizes have changed from twenty (20) to thirty (30)
      students this year due to school closings (budget cuts).

      How did this all happen? Well, the school system purchased Apple IIe's for each classroom
      back in the 80's. In the early 90's they were replaced by IBM compatibles and most recently
      by Dell's. Each of the teachers were told they could take their Apple IIe home or move
      them to a designated storage room. Most elected to not take them home. The storage
      room later became Mr. Vance's classroom and he inherited the equipment. Mr. Vance
      decided to setup and network the desktops and has been supporting this effort with other
      machines that he has salvaged parts from for the last fifteen (15) years.

      Now the real bad news. Mr. Carruth, (AKA Mr. Vance - Student's nickname for him) will be
      retiring this coming June. This comes only after 39 years of service at the same school.
      Once Mr. Vance has gone, there will be no other teacher to take on this support effort and
      the Apple IIe legacy along with Mr. Vance will vanish from Smith School. Once Mr. Vance is
      gone the Apples will be sold to the highest bidders and only Dell computers will be found
      on the Smith campus. If Steve Jobs is listening - are you going to accept this defeat? I pray
      not!

      Story by: Richard Hyman. Richard may be contacted at RAHTAHTAH@... and Mr.
      Vance may be contacted at VANCECARRUTH@...

      Full story with photo: http://www.macmothership.com/blog/bloghome.html
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27 12:21 PM
        I had no idea that the ][e could be networked!

        Jim

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30 6:52 AM
          On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Jim Scheef wrote:

          > I had no idea that the ][e could be networked!

          My exhibit at VCF East this year will have an Apple IIe and a IIGS
          networked to a Linux server running Netatalk for file sharing. The IIe
          requires a Workstation card for Appletalk networking. The IIGS will boot
          from the Netatalk server, and I hope to have the IIe booting from it as
          well.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...