Re: [midatlanticretro] Roll Call for Trenton

  • Dave Wade
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23 8:13 AM
      On 23/02/2013 15:44, Dave McGuire wrote:
      >> Dude. We run a vintage computer club. :)
      > I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
      Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
      players, is it to do with Government cut backs?

      --
      Dave Wade G4UGM
      Illegitimi Non Carborundum
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23 9:51 AM
        See if this helps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8

        Wesley

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23 11:00 AM
          On 02/23/2013 11:13 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
          >>> Dude. We run a vintage computer club. :)
          >> I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
          > Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
          > players, is it to do with Government cut backs?

          They can only concentrate on one at a time. ;)

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Dave Wade
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23 11:05 AM
            On 23/02/2013 19:00, Dave McGuire wrote:
            >>> I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
            >> Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
            >> players, is it to do with Government cut backs?
            > They can only concentrate on one at a time. ;)
            Thanks I have always wondered and that explains a much, although I think
            you are being slightly optimistic. IME actually I think that only about
            33% of them are actually concentrating at any one time...
            > -Dave

            (I think that's probably best declared closed)

            --
            Dave Wade G4UGM
            Illegitimi Non Carborundum
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23 2:05 PM
              >> planning to go with what will fit in my Golf. I might be able to remove the Teletype from the stand to be able to bring it.

              I once fit an ASR33 and the stand in my Miata. Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seats, with its legs where human legs would go, and the teletype in the trunk. But, other than me in the driver seat, nothing else fit.
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23 5:07 PM
                >> Ted Nelson's 1974 Computer Lib and Dream Machines has a lot of pre-micro references to PDP 8/11

                Good point, I didn't think of that.

                In addition to whatever systems I need to bring from the museum, I will also bring posters about RESISTORS and ACS.

                Gesswein: Sounds like it's all coming together! An '8 will be fine.
              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 23 5:21 PM
                  >> Lucky techs took home old pdp's after they were de-commissioned by the original company/institutions and given a new life for home use.

                  Yup! I needed a nudge to think outside of the box. Many of the ACS articles were about that. Thanks Bill.
                • ekoblentz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 24 5:55 AM
                    Sometimes I forget to change Bill's 'VCF' subject line back to 'Trenton'.

                    PS, the first-ever real thread on our list, in early 2005, was "Who's bringing what to Trenton"...

                    >> No lcd screens or modern equipment should be visible in exhibit.

                    That also means for the Apple we'll load software by tape, not by iPod, unlike in the museum. :)
                  • ekoblentz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 25 8:53 AM
                      >> Can I bring the Intel SDK-85? That's from 1977 and was popular as a hobbyist controller board and educational tool. It'll talk to a teletype over current loop too.

                      I say yes. Bill, as you often remind me, the homebrew era did not come to an abrupt end when the '77 micros debuted. :)