Re: [midatlanticretro] Roll Call for Trenton

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
      On Feb 23, 2013, at 9:25 AM, evan@... wrote:
      >>> on the other hand we have lives
      >
      > Dude. We run a vintage computer club. :)

      I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Dave Wade
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
        On 23/02/2013 15:44, Dave McGuire wrote:
        >> Dude. We run a vintage computer club. :)
        > I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
        Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
        players, is it to do with Government cut backs?

        --
        Dave Wade G4UGM
        Illegitimi Non Carborundum
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
          See if this helps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8

          Wesley

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
            On 02/23/2013 11:13 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
            >>> Dude. We run a vintage computer club. :)
            >> I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
            > Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
            > players, is it to do with Government cut backs?

            They can only concentrate on one at a time. ;)

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Dave Wade
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
              On 23/02/2013 19:00, Dave McGuire wrote:
              >>> I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
              >> Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
              >> players, is it to do with Government cut backs?
              > They can only concentrate on one at a time. ;)
              Thanks I have always wondered and that explains a much, although I think
              you are being slightly optimistic. IME actually I think that only about
              33% of them are actually concentrating at any one time...
              > -Dave

              (I think that's probably best declared closed)

              --
              Dave Wade G4UGM
              Illegitimi Non Carborundum
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                >> planning to go with what will fit in my Golf. I might be able to remove the Teletype from the stand to be able to bring it.

                I once fit an ASR33 and the stand in my Miata. Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seats, with its legs where human legs would go, and the teletype in the trunk. But, other than me in the driver seat, nothing else fit.
              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                  >> Ted Nelson's 1974 Computer Lib and Dream Machines has a lot of pre-micro references to PDP 8/11

                  Good point, I didn't think of that.

                  In addition to whatever systems I need to bring from the museum, I will also bring posters about RESISTORS and ACS.

                  Gesswein: Sounds like it's all coming together! An '8 will be fine.
                • ekoblentz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                    >> Lucky techs took home old pdp's after they were de-commissioned by the original company/institutions and given a new life for home use.

                    Yup! I needed a nudge to think outside of the box. Many of the ACS articles were about that. Thanks Bill.
                  • ekoblentz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
                      Sometimes I forget to change Bill's 'VCF' subject line back to 'Trenton'.

                      PS, the first-ever real thread on our list, in early 2005, was "Who's bringing what to Trenton"...

                      >> No lcd screens or modern equipment should be visible in exhibit.

                      That also means for the Apple we'll load software by tape, not by iPod, unlike in the museum. :)
                    • ekoblentz
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
                        >> Can I bring the Intel SDK-85? That's from 1977 and was popular as a hobbyist controller board and educational tool. It'll talk to a teletype over current loop too.

                        I say yes. Bill, as you often remind me, the homebrew era did not come to an abrupt end when the '77 micros debuted. :)