Re: [midatlanticretro] Roll Call for Trenton

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
      -------- Original Message --------

      }sigh{
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
        On Feb 23, 2013, at 9:25 AM, evan@... wrote:
        >>> on the other hand we have lives
        >
        > Dude. We run a vintage computer club. :)

        I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Dave Wade
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
          On 23/02/2013 15:44, Dave McGuire wrote:
          >> Dude. We run a vintage computer club. :)
          > I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
          Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
          players, is it to do with Government cut backs?

          --
          Dave Wade G4UGM
          Illegitimi Non Carborundum
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
            See if this helps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8

            Wesley

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
              On 02/23/2013 11:13 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
              >>> Dude. We run a vintage computer club. :)
              >> I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
              > Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
              > players, is it to do with Government cut backs?

              They can only concentrate on one at a time. ;)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Dave Wade
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                On 23/02/2013 19:00, Dave McGuire wrote:
                >>> I think we're quite fortunate, as our stuff is interesting. I hear some people spend lots of time and money watching grown men chase a ball!
                >> Can some one explain why they have to share one ball between so many
                >> players, is it to do with Government cut backs?
                > They can only concentrate on one at a time. ;)
                Thanks I have always wondered and that explains a much, although I think
                you are being slightly optimistic. IME actually I think that only about
                33% of them are actually concentrating at any one time...
                > -Dave

                (I think that's probably best declared closed)

                --
                Dave Wade G4UGM
                Illegitimi Non Carborundum
              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                  >> planning to go with what will fit in my Golf. I might be able to remove the Teletype from the stand to be able to bring it.

                  I once fit an ASR33 and the stand in my Miata. Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seats, with its legs where human legs would go, and the teletype in the trunk. But, other than me in the driver seat, nothing else fit.
                • ekoblentz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                    >> Ted Nelson's 1974 Computer Lib and Dream Machines has a lot of pre-micro references to PDP 8/11

                    Good point, I didn't think of that.

                    In addition to whatever systems I need to bring from the museum, I will also bring posters about RESISTORS and ACS.

                    Gesswein: Sounds like it's all coming together! An '8 will be fine.
                  • ekoblentz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                      >> Lucky techs took home old pdp's after they were de-commissioned by the original company/institutions and given a new life for home use.

                      Yup! I needed a nudge to think outside of the box. Many of the ACS articles were about that. Thanks Bill.
                    • ekoblentz
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
                        Sometimes I forget to change Bill's 'VCF' subject line back to 'Trenton'.

                        PS, the first-ever real thread on our list, in early 2005, was "Who's bringing what to Trenton"...

                        >> No lcd screens or modern equipment should be visible in exhibit.

                        That also means for the Apple we'll load software by tape, not by iPod, unlike in the museum. :)
                      • ekoblentz
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
                          >> Can I bring the Intel SDK-85? That's from 1977 and was popular as a hobbyist controller board and educational tool. It'll talk to a teletype over current loop too.

                          I say yes. Bill, as you often remind me, the homebrew era did not come to an abrupt end when the '77 micros debuted. :)