Re: [midatlanticretro] A real Mark-8 for MARCH

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
      >> Is this a collection that is open to the public? Or just something private but sometimes open to MARCH folks?

      The "bugbook" link is the private collection of Dave L., who lives in Virginia and loaned his Mark-8 to us.

      Whereas our MARCH museum, in Wall, NJ, is open to the public nearly every Sunday. (And hopefully we'll be re-opening soon after some Sandy issues.) Let me know if you'd like a private tour.
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
        I was referring to Dave's collection in Floyd, VA...that is closer to me
        than the NJ collection. Though only a certain amount...still 2.5 hours to
        Floyd from where I live... I was wondering about seeing Dave's collection.
        Looks like from the other link (which I saw after I posted my message) that
        it is in a public location...I guess just a matter of when it is actually
        open. I would love to some day see both if possible! Thanks for the tour
        offer...hopefully some day...

        Thanks,

        Wesley

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
          >> I was referring to Dave's collection

          Ah. You'll have to contact him.
        • Systems Glitch
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
            > I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here including Dan R if I remember
            > correctly.

            I've got a pile of them, very useful references. I used to find them in the Blacksburg YMCA store's book section now and then, which is how I found out about them. The 8080/8085 two-book series is excellent and what got me started in 8080/8085 assembly programming and low-level design.

            The Floyd museum is something I've been meaning to check out...my parents live an hour away in southern WV so perhaps we can make a stop next time we're down on vacation. I'd heard of the Floyd country store when I was in school at Virginia Tech, but didn't know a computer museum existed!

            Thanks,
            Jonathan
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
              I'm told the Mark 8 arrived today. I will be home in about a half-hour from now. Damn it, bus driver, drive faster! Can't wait to see it.

              I will take pictures and post them for all to see.