RE: [midatlanticretro] A real Mark-8 for MARCH

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
      I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here including Dan R if I remember
      correctly. I was all set to take the family to Floyd VA and then I had some
      sick kids so we cancelled the trip. My son is still bugging me about going,
      if I drive to Altanta for VCF SE I suppose a stop at the museum would be in
      order. That is unless Dave is also going to the VCF SE.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
        >> I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here

        MARCH has most of them. They're on a shelf in our homebrew exhibit. I think we are only missing one or two. Someday I will have to make a list and compare it to Dave's master list.

        We also have a very nice replica Mark-8 front panel that Titus sent us.
      • Wesley Furr
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
          Is this a collection that is open to the public? Or just something private
          but sometimes open to MARCH folks?

          Thanks,

          Wesley

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
              I was referring to Dave's collection in Floyd, VA...that is closer to me
              than the NJ collection. Though only a certain amount...still 2.5 hours to
              Floyd from where I live... I was wondering about seeing Dave's collection.
              Looks like from the other link (which I saw after I posted my message) that
              it is in a public location...I guess just a matter of when it is actually
              open. I would love to some day see both if possible! Thanks for the tour
              offer...hopefully some day...

              Thanks,

              Wesley

              The "bugbook" link is the private collection of Dave L., who lives in
              Virginia and loaned his Mark-8 to us.

              Whereas our MARCH museum, in Wall, NJ, is open to the public nearly every
              Sunday. (And hopefully we'll be re-opening soon after some Sandy issues.)
              Let me know if you'd like a private tour.
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                >> I was referring to Dave's collection

                Ah. You'll have to contact him.
              • Systems Glitch
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
                  > I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here including Dan R if I remember
                  > correctly.

                  I've got a pile of them, very useful references. I used to find them in the Blacksburg YMCA store's book section now and then, which is how I found out about them. The 8080/8085 two-book series is excellent and what got me started in 8080/8085 assembly programming and low-level design.

                  The Floyd museum is something I've been meaning to check out...my parents live an hour away in southern WV so perhaps we can make a stop next time we're down on vacation. I'd heard of the Floyd country store when I was in school at Virginia Tech, but didn't know a computer museum existed!

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan
                • ekoblentz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
                    I'm told the Mark 8 arrived today. I will be home in about a half-hour from now. Damn it, bus driver, drive faster! Can't wait to see it.

                    I will take pictures and post them for all to see.