RE: [midatlanticretro] A real Mark-8 for MARCH

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
      Thanks Dave!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of evan@...
      Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 4:30 PM
      To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] A real Mark-8 for MARCH

      Great news! MARCH's own Dave Larsen is providing a long-term loan of a real
      (not replica) Mark-8 minicomputer for our homebrew museum exhibit.

      This deal has been in the works for a while now. Dave mailed us the computer
      today and gave his permission for me to tell all of you.

      Just as exciting, Dave gave us permission to restore the computer to working
      order! I am appointing Bill Degnan to lead a restoration team, and Corey
      Cohen to fabricate the computer's case.

      When the times comes to start restoration, Bill will announce it here, and
      then people can volunteer to help.

      Meanwhile, I will bring the computer as-is to our Trenton exhibit. Of course
      it will be "no touch" at that point.

      I suspect that many MARCHins may not realize just * who * Dave is. He's not
      just a collector -- he ran the Blacksburg Group with Jon Titus. So he was
      right there with Jon when they made the Mark-8 and while they wrote the
      classic BugBooks.

      In my opinion, it's pretty cool to have someone like him quietly here in our
      group. :)

      Please join me in thanking Dave for this very generous sharing of his musuem
      artifact.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
        I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here including Dan R if I remember
        correctly. I was all set to take the family to Floyd VA and then I had some
        sick kids so we cancelled the trip. My son is still bugging me about going,
        if I drive to Altanta for VCF SE I suppose a stop at the museum would be in
        order. That is unless Dave is also going to the VCF SE.

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
          >> I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here

          MARCH has most of them. They're on a shelf in our homebrew exhibit. I think we are only missing one or two. Someday I will have to make a list and compare it to Dave's master list.

          We also have a very nice replica Mark-8 front panel that Titus sent us.
        • Wesley Furr
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
            Is this a collection that is open to the public? Or just something private
            but sometimes open to MARCH folks?

            Thanks,

            Wesley

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                I was referring to Dave's collection in Floyd, VA...that is closer to me
                than the NJ collection. Though only a certain amount...still 2.5 hours to
                Floyd from where I live... I was wondering about seeing Dave's collection.
                Looks like from the other link (which I saw after I posted my message) that
                it is in a public location...I guess just a matter of when it is actually
                open. I would love to some day see both if possible! Thanks for the tour
                offer...hopefully some day...

                Thanks,

                Wesley

                The "bugbook" link is the private collection of Dave L., who lives in
                Virginia and loaned his Mark-8 to us.

                Whereas our MARCH museum, in Wall, NJ, is open to the public nearly every
                Sunday. (And hopefully we'll be re-opening soon after some Sandy issues.)
                Let me know if you'd like a private tour.
              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                  >> I was referring to Dave's collection

                  Ah. You'll have to contact him.
                • Systems Glitch
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
                    > I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here including Dan R if I remember
                    > correctly.

                    I've got a pile of them, very useful references. I used to find them in the Blacksburg YMCA store's book section now and then, which is how I found out about them. The 8080/8085 two-book series is excellent and what got me started in 8080/8085 assembly programming and low-level design.

                    The Floyd museum is something I've been meaning to check out...my parents live an hour away in southern WV so perhaps we can make a stop next time we're down on vacation. I'd heard of the Floyd country store when I was in school at Virginia Tech, but didn't know a computer museum existed!

                    Thanks,
                    Jonathan
                  • ekoblentz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
                      I'm told the Mark 8 arrived today. I will be home in about a half-hour from now. Damn it, bus driver, drive faster! Can't wait to see it.

                      I will take pictures and post them for all to see.