Re: [midatlanticretro] A real Mark-8 for MARCH

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
      ... And he blogs: bugbookmuseum.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
        Thanks Dave!

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
          I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here including Dan R if I remember
          correctly. I was all set to take the family to Floyd VA and then I had some
          sick kids so we cancelled the trip. My son is still bugging me about going,
          if I drive to Altanta for VCF SE I suppose a stop at the museum would be in
          order. That is unless Dave is also going to the VCF SE.

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
            >> I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here

            MARCH has most of them. They're on a shelf in our homebrew exhibit. I think we are only missing one or two. Someday I will have to make a list and compare it to Dave's master list.

            We also have a very nice replica Mark-8 front panel that Titus sent us.
          • Wesley Furr
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
              Is this a collection that is open to the public? Or just something private
              but sometimes open to MARCH folks?

              Thanks,

              Wesley

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                  I was referring to Dave's collection in Floyd, VA...that is closer to me
                  than the NJ collection. Though only a certain amount...still 2.5 hours to
                  Floyd from where I live... I was wondering about seeing Dave's collection.
                  Looks like from the other link (which I saw after I posted my message) that
                  it is in a public location...I guess just a matter of when it is actually
                  open. I would love to some day see both if possible! Thanks for the tour
                  offer...hopefully some day...

                  Thanks,

                  Wesley

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                    >> I was referring to Dave's collection

                    Ah. You'll have to contact him.
                  • Systems Glitch
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
                      > I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here including Dan R if I remember
                      > correctly.

                      I've got a pile of them, very useful references. I used to find them in the Blacksburg YMCA store's book section now and then, which is how I found out about them. The 8080/8085 two-book series is excellent and what got me started in 8080/8085 assembly programming and low-level design.

                      The Floyd museum is something I've been meaning to check out...my parents live an hour away in southern WV so perhaps we can make a stop next time we're down on vacation. I'd heard of the Floyd country store when I was in school at Virginia Tech, but didn't know a computer museum existed!

                      Thanks,
                      Jonathan
                    • ekoblentz
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
                        I'm told the Mark 8 arrived today. I will be home in about a half-hour from now. Damn it, bus driver, drive faster! Can't wait to see it.

                        I will take pictures and post them for all to see.