A real Mark-8 for MARCH

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
      Great news! MARCH's own Dave Larsen is providing a long-term loan of a real (not replica) Mark-8 minicomputer for our homebrew museum exhibit.

      This deal has been in the works for a while now. Dave mailed us the computer today and gave his permission for me to tell all of you.

      Just as exciting, Dave gave us permission to restore the computer to working order! I am appointing Bill Degnan to lead a restoration team, and Corey Cohen to fabricate the computer's case.

      When the times comes to start restoration, Bill will announce it here, and then people can volunteer to help.

      Meanwhile, I will bring the computer as-is to our Trenton exhibit. Of course it will be "no touch" at that point.

      I suspect that many MARCHins may not realize just * who * Dave is. He's not just a collector -- he ran the Blacksburg Group with Jon Titus. So he was right there with Jon when they made the Mark-8 and while they wrote the classic BugBooks.

      In my opinion, it's pretty cool to have someone like him quietly here in our group. :)

      Please join me in thanking Dave for this very generous sharing of his musuem artifact.
    • Alexey Toptygin
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
        On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, evan@... wrote:

        > Please join me in thanking Dave for this very generous sharing of his
        > musuem artifact.

        Thanks Dave!

        Alexey
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013

          > Great news! MARCH's own Dave Larsen is providing a long-term loan of a real (not replica) Mark-8 minicomputer for our homebrew museum exhibit.

          Very cool! Must be nice to have friends in high places :)

          I got my Mark-8 replica built a few months ago, it was tricky to trouble shoot but it's running now. I doubt that I can be of any help way up here in Canada, but I'll do what ever I can, if any help is needed.

          Cheers,
          Josh
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
            >> Please join me in thanking Dave for this very generous sharing of his musuem artifact.

            Forgot to mention: MARCHins should also check out Dave's site which is www.bugbookcomputermuseum.com and also go visit his collection in Floyd, Virginia.
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
              ... And he blogs: bugbookmuseum.blogspot.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                Thanks Dave!

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                  I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here including Dan R if I remember
                  correctly. I was all set to take the family to Floyd VA and then I had some
                  sick kids so we cancelled the trip. My son is still bugging me about going,
                  if I drive to Altanta for VCF SE I suppose a stop at the museum would be in
                  order. That is unless Dave is also going to the VCF SE.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                    >> I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here

                    MARCH has most of them. They're on a shelf in our homebrew exhibit. I think we are only missing one or two. Someday I will have to make a list and compare it to Dave's master list.

                    We also have a very nice replica Mark-8 front panel that Titus sent us.
                  • Wesley Furr
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                      Is this a collection that is open to the public? Or just something private
                      but sometimes open to MARCH folks?

                      Thanks,

                      Wesley

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                          I was referring to Dave's collection in Floyd, VA...that is closer to me
                          than the NJ collection. Though only a certain amount...still 2.5 hours to
                          Floyd from where I live... I was wondering about seeing Dave's collection.
                          Looks like from the other link (which I saw after I posted my message) that
                          it is in a public location...I guess just a matter of when it is actually
                          open. I would love to some day see both if possible! Thanks for the tour
                          offer...hopefully some day...

                          Thanks,

                          Wesley

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                            >> I was referring to Dave's collection

                            Ah. You'll have to contact him.
                          • Systems Glitch
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
                              > I have some of these Bugbooks, so do many here including Dan R if I remember
                              > correctly.

                              I've got a pile of them, very useful references. I used to find them in the Blacksburg YMCA store's book section now and then, which is how I found out about them. The 8080/8085 two-book series is excellent and what got me started in 8080/8085 assembly programming and low-level design.

                              The Floyd museum is something I've been meaning to check out...my parents live an hour away in southern WV so perhaps we can make a stop next time we're down on vacation. I'd heard of the Floyd country store when I was in school at Virginia Tech, but didn't know a computer museum existed!

                              Thanks,
                              Jonathan
                            • ekoblentz
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
                                I'm told the Mark 8 arrived today. I will be home in about a half-hour from now. Damn it, bus driver, drive faster! Can't wait to see it.

                                I will take pictures and post them for all to see.