Re: IMSAI 8080

  • DanielB
    Message 1 of 61 , Feb 22, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "DanielB" <danlb_2000@...> wrote:

      > I just managed to get my hands on an IMSAI 8080 that probably hasn't been power up in decades. I am very interested in getting this thing up and running again. I have a pretty good background in electronics and electronic repair, but I am looking for any advice on power up something like this for the first time. Any recommendations on what I should check before attempting a power up? Any advice would be much appreciated.

      I finally got the IMSAI cleaned up and powered up successfully. Currently I have it running with the front panel, CPU and one memory board. I can successfully deposit and examine data in RAM using the front panel. One thing I have noticed is that the front panel does not behave exactly like the manual says. For example when pushing the Examine button up it should display memory and not increment the address but in my case both Examine and Examine Next increment the address. Could this be because it's a Z80 instead of an 8080?

      I also tried out the SMB card but I get a high current condition when I turn on the unit with the board installed (have it going through a dim-bulb variac) so I am going to need to troubleshoot that next.
    • DanielB
      Message 61 of 61 , May 14, 2013
        Yep, front panel is working good now. One odd thing I have run into is that from the Zapple monitor I can write to the SMB's onboard RAM, but I cannot write to the RAM on the memory board but I can write to the memory board from the front panel.

        Dan