Re: [midatlanticretro] Trenton - March 16

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
      "evan@..." <evan@...> writes:

      >Trenton Computer Fest is early this year -- Saturday, March 16.

      Grrr. If it's not VCF, it's TCF, that is always scheduled when I have some
      other function to attend. VCF was finally scheduled at a good time for me
      but cancelled due to the transformer issues at InfoAge. I'll be presenting
      a this <http://www.connect-community.org/?2013VMSBootCamp> which coincides
      with TCF. Maybe next year... :(

    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
        evan@... wrote:
        > Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
        > Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

        The timing's no good for me. Sorry.

        Bill S.
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013

          David,

          Sounds good.  Just Saturday.   It’s not the same TCF as it was 20 years ago, or even 2005, the old ham fest atmosphere recedes each year.  Personally I am giving it another chance but I remain uncommitted to the future.

          Everyone,

          Here are some general guidelines for exhibiting at TCF in particular

          1)      We don’t know much yet about where within TCF we will be, access to power outlets, or space to exhibit.

          2)      Don’t assume you’ll have a lot of power, you may find yourself running off a shared power strip.   Minis might have to sit powerless (even if they make a nice display).

          3)      Unless you’re told otherwise expect you’ll have a single table for your exhibit at most, one of those standard ~5 or 6 by ~2 foot rectangles.  So, pick the one really good thing that fits.  Make the exhibit presentable, and avoid non-vintage hardware especially displays.  People are more impressed by complete setups of actual vintage computers.

          4)      Exhibits should have a placard “Make/Model/Date(s) produced for each item

          5)      TCF is more general audience than your VCF or maker faire, they want to see cool old stuff.  If you have to constantly explain why something is important, it’s probably not (to the general public).

          6)      TCF has always been a source of new members to MARCH, we always want to make a good impression.

          7)      TCF in the past has been a good social for MARCH members.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
            On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:44:17PM +0000, evan@... wrote:

            > Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
            > Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

            I may be able to bring something for a single 6' table. Wouldn't really
            want to do it if sufficient power isn't available. I can bring less hungry
            stuff but won't work sharing with too many tables. When would you know
            how much space etc they wish to give us this year?
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
              On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:44:17PM +0000, evan@... wrote:

              > Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
              > Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

              I may be able to bring something for a single 6' table. Wouldn't really want
              to do it if sufficient power isn't available. I can bring less hungry stuff
              but won't work sharing with too many tables. When would you know how much
              space etc they wish to give us this year?

              Evan?
              In a way it might make more sense to get a good room for a proper exhibit
              that for it to be in a great spot, we can always flood the event with signs
              - with arrows "See Antique Computers This Way! --->